It Takes Two Tangs to Tango!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Doom2

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys. I've had my 47g set up for about 5 months now and haven't done much with it. I have a bunch of live rock and the Xenia, small leather coral, and mushrooms that came on the rock. I currently have 2 green chromis all alone in there. I would like to add a blue hepatus tang and a yellow tang. I know they can't stay in this size tank forever but I plan to upgrade within a year or so.

Anyway, what do you think about adding them both at the same time? Do you think the chances are good that they will tolerate each other??

Thanks,

Jeff

Hey guys. I've had my 47g set up for about 5 months now and haven't done much with it. I have a bunch of live rock and the Xenia, small leather coral, and mushrooms that came on the rock. I currently have 2 green chromis all alone in there. I would like to add a blue hepatus tang and a yellow tang. I know they can't stay in this size tank forever but I plan to upgrade within a year or so.

Anyway, what do you think about adding them both at the same time? Do you think the chances are good that they will tolerate each other??

Thanks,

Jeff

Most likely one will be constantly in quarrel with the other. Your tank is too small for one leave alone two. DP

They will torment each other till one is dead. Two is definitely out of the question.

I know this is not what you wanted to hear, but tangs are very territorial and in a small tank the stronger one will rule to the demise of the other one. If they are really small you might get away with it for a very short time, but one will more then likely kill the other. That would be a waste of both money and livestock.

Dr Doom2,

I have a 100g tank and wanted the same thing; however, people smarter than me (probably the same people as above) convinced me that my tank was too small. The reason we have a tank is for us to feel good and to keep our fish safe and happy.

So I vote as above; NO

I wouldn't put tangs in a tank smaller than 75 gallons. They really need room to swim. If you do upgrade your tank, then you can put the tangs in. For now, no tang will be happy for longer than a few weeks in a 47g. It'd make a nice QT tank, though. lol.

I was afraid I'd hear these responses!! I take these creatures health and happiness very seriously. That is why I research as much as I can before I go out and buy something.

That being said, what types of fish would have similar bodyshapes or colors and stay small enough to thrive in a 47g for at least a year or so??

Thanks!!

You could look at a Flame angel, however it all depends on what other fish you want to put with it. I would suggest that you give us your stock plan for review. That way we can all have a look and make comment, so you can have a happy health tank

Back
Top Bottom