Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-11-2003, 05:51 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Here's my line of thinking on this. Put in the rock and don't bother with the skimmer right now. Test for ammonia and when you start seeing some ammonia in the water, start up the skimmer. May take a few days. If the rock has a significant amount of die off, I don't see where you'll need to add the shrimp. Let it all run until the nitrites drop. JMHO.
Logan J

Old 04-11-2003, 10:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

HARA: Thanks... but one more question... How many shrimp? And... I have a R/R tank with the corner over flow...so unless the goal is just circulating the water...It has to be full to get to the sump and the heaters...

So it seems the concensus is no skimmer for a while...

Next question. I'm using a Mag7 for my skimmer... since I added it... the temp has risen about 2.2 degrees to what seems...a stable 79.4 ....I guess that's nothing to worry about since most of you guys keep yours at 80. But here's the real question for anyone with a pump that's pretty powerful and has no adjustment...Is it absolutely neccesary to install a valve to slow the flow down on the pump's output? I want the skimmer running as efficiently as possible when I do turn it back on..

LATEST UPDATE: PH 8.35, Temp 79.4, Salinity - 1.022(Deep6)-1.025(SeaTest), 132# of LR has arrived

Old 04-11-2003, 06:27 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would only add one big shrimp for a 90, especially as the rock will be adding to the die off. We did not have water in the sump until we were ready for the fish. The 175 had about 1/3 of a tank full of water for 3 weeks. Just cycling the rock. We periodically changed a little of the water out while the cycling was going on. Then we added the sand, added enough water to make a half tank, let the dust settle, then moved the water,rock,corals and fish from the 150 to the 175. That
was the first time the sump had water.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:12 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's an update:

I added the live rock on Friday night... I've been adjusting the PH with buffer to keep it between 8.20-8.35 It consistently goes down just hours after adding the buffer.

I've also had temperature problems. With the Mag7 in the sump, the temp reached 82.4 degrees... I removed the Mag7 and re-plumbed everything to operate externally... Now the temp is about 80.8, the skimmer still seems to work fine... Boy does that Mag7 generate heat...

I also did my first water change yesterday... 20gals... about 23%

How do you know the live rock is cured? I know it's way too early...but I'm curious... I use the baster to blow off material...and plan on changing the water again on wednesday... But, I think I'm beginning to notice some algae growth... but, the ammonia has yet to register.
Old 04-15-2003, 11:16 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
How do you know the live rock is cured?
It will stink terribly when not cured if i remember correctly. When it is cured i guess it smells like normal rock (nothing?).
Old 04-15-2003, 11:35 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well...I purchased it pre-cured and had it overnighted... There's still a lot of matter coming off when I use the baster...And it does smell...but not a stench... just an "unsightly odor" But there seems to be some green in spots there was nothing before...

Does healthy rock have a coating all over?
Old 04-15-2003, 01:20 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

When bought precured, then shipped, some matter will die off, that is most likely the stench. I dont think your rock would have coating all over. Not such young stuff.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:46 PM   #18

Quote:
Does healthy rock have a coating all over?
IMO the answer to that question would no doubt be yes.

My LR has stuff all over it in different quantities and specie. Coralline algae, barnacles, sponge, etc..

There would be no purpose in buying LR if it didn't have growth on it of some sort.

Quote:
I dont think your rock would have coating all over. Not such young stuff.

Really now,,,,,, there really is no way to tell how old the rock is that she purchased...or where it actually came from.
Old 04-15-2003, 03:53 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

I
Quote:
that she purchased
i think it is a man according to the picture of him next to his 55 gallon tank, if i remember. I said that because it was shipped, and i was told most things die, not all, most.
Old 04-15-2003, 04:32 PM   #20

Oops, my bad.

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com