Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-15-2003, 04:57 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Children... no fighting....I'm all male over here (clarification)

Anyway... can someone explain to me why the PH will not stay up?

Old 04-15-2003, 05:17 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

I did not mean that to be cynical at all, although reading it again i could understand why it may come across that way.

Old 04-15-2003, 05:58 PM   #23
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would quit worrying too much about the unstable ph, that is part of the process. Also, ph tends to drop at night. Did you add a shrimp or anything to help you get that ammonia spike? I also would not be changing the water until well after you see the ammonia spike. By changing the water, you are keeping the pollutants down. It is the nasties that will make the ammonia spike.
Old 04-15-2003, 06:29 PM   #24

Quote:
By changing the water, you are keeping the pollutants down. It is the nasties that will make the ammonia spike.
Amen, you may be seated.

He he, I couldn't have said it better myself...know that one from experience....looooonnnnnggggggg cycle I made...
Old 04-15-2003, 07:32 PM   #25
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
As far as the temp goes, you can run safely up to 84 degrees. I run mine at 82. As long as it stays stable and does not have large drops (such as at night) you should not have any problems. This is also a excellent preventative against ich.
Old 04-16-2003, 11:35 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay... so... my PH changes Daily from 8.35 (after I add buffer) to as low as 8.15...but mainly to 8.20/21 ...

How low is TOO low?

What should I be trying to maintain?

HARA: I added 3 damsels
Old 04-16-2003, 01:16 PM   #27

Mine went up and down as far as 7.8 for a low and 8.3 at a high. 8.3 is fine after the water stabilizes. I would not be trying to bffer during the cycle period..it will be better as time goes on...after the tank cycles, then you can try to equalize if needed.

The main things to be worried in this part of the game is, Ammonia and Nitrites. keep your eye on those and not so much the PH.
Old 04-16-2003, 02:00 PM   #28
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyFishies
HARA: I added 3 damsels
I hope you like them ALOT, as you will have one heck of a time every catching them if you want to send them back to the LFS . Hopefully they will not terrorize every other fish you ever get. and I am sure they will forgive you for making them live in a toxic waste dump for a few weeks

.oOis that the theme music from Jaws that I hear??
Old 04-16-2003, 02:18 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... HARA .... they are an amazing shade of blue...but they are not on my list...so bring on the net.... Already I can see the problem because they hide in the rocks at night to the point where unless they stick their heads out, I can't find them till they feel like coming out.

About the PH: Well, it's good to know that I shouldn't worry about the PH because I'm almost out of buffer ... Thanks for the input guys..and gals..
Old 04-16-2003, 02:24 PM   #30
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Already I can see the problem because they hide in the rocks at night to the point where unless they stick their heads out, I can't find them till they feel like coming out.
Most fish will act like this, the damsels will bocome more bold in time,probably too bold, mean little buggers...they are.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com