Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-22-2003, 03:48 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

HARA - I added the Shrimp on Wednesday of last week. I guess It is possible I have missed the spike... I don't know I was testing every other day and the ammonia Alert stays in the tank so I look at it daily. I will test for Nitrites and have the water tested at my LFS for 2nd opinion.

MICHAEL: Okay. so... I will look into getting the Southdown... Hard to find in NJ.

I will get some Hermit Crabs...And as for the Damsels... They are coming out before the PRIZE fish will be added. Hope I don't have too much of a hard time catching them.

Old 04-22-2003, 03:53 PM   #42

Quote:
Hard to find in NJ
Check Home Depot. They are the main carriers for Southdown or Yardright playsand in NJ. In fact, you will find these in NJ HD's when you can't find it elsewhere.
Old 04-22-2003, 04:38 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Now here's another question. I found the sand at a home depot an di'm picking up 3 bags (150lb) enough for 4". I assume I need to rinse and clean the sand b4 putting it in...

Is the live sand that is sold in the LFS going to work as a seeding mechanism? I was going to put a few lbs on the top to get things going.

The other question: The residue I've been blowing off teh rocks has accumulated underneath and along side the rocks... Do I need to siphon that out? or does it even matter?
Old 04-22-2003, 05:02 PM   #44

Quote:
Now here's another question. I found the sand at a home depot an di'm picking up 3 bags (150lb) enough for 4". I assume I need to rinse and clean the sand b4 putting it in...
You don't have to rinse it, I do by placing in a 5 gal bucket 1 bag at a time and rinsing until clear water runs over the lip. Some would say this is overkill and that you want the silt or cloudiness. It is your choice.. the cloudiness will go away in a few days and all will be well.

Quote:
Is the live sand that is sold in the LFS going to work as a seeding mechanism? I was going to put a few lbs on the top to get things going.
If the LFS has sand out of a working tank, then yes it would be benificail. If it is just out of a bag, then no.. The LR will help it become live after a few weeks or so..

Quote:
The other question: The residue I've been blowing off teh rocks has accumulated underneath and along side the rocks... Do I need to siphon that out? or does it even matter?
I wouldn't worry about it..
Old 04-22-2003, 05:18 PM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Quote:
Quote:

You don't have to rinse it, I do by placing in a 5 gal bucket 1 bag at a time and rinsing until clear water runs over the lip. Some would say this is overkill and that you want the silt or cloudiness. It is your choice.. the cloudiness will go away in a few days and all will be well.
I would not rinse the sand. The small grains or so called "silt" is good for a working live DSB.
Old 04-23-2003, 10:48 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to magyk
How was the LR from marindepot I was thinking about purchasing some from them considering it's free shipping
How did it come out?????
magyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2003, 11:03 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

First of all.. HARA: You hit the nail on the head. I missed the Ammonia spike even though I had two testing methods. Go Figure... I tested for Nitrite and have about .4 PPM (Seachem Test). So... my understanding is that there was enough bacteria in the rock already to knock down the ammonia.

I added the sand, created on heck of a cloud, which has settled (see pic) and now...I will be saying goodbye to one of my yellowtail damsels. He was pale this morning....

Question: Can I now do a water change? I was waiting for the ammonia spike (as per HARA's suggestion) and now that I'm in the nitrite stage...I'm looking for suggestions...do I change now...or wait till the nitrites get higher? I don't want to jeopardize the strengh of the bacteria colonies.

Question 2: Is it too early to add a few hermit crabs?

Almost done... I'll be adding a couple of pounds of LS from an established system today.

MAGYK - It's too early to tell I guess...it's been less than 2 weeks... but... I got great pieces...There was growth quickly... I had it overnighted... Now..be careful, I paid shipping. It was included in the cost...it saved me about $40-$50 from Foster & Smith's www.liveaquaria.com .... I mean....I hope this helps...but like I said...it's been less than 2 weeks..
Old 04-24-2003, 06:20 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice Addict

INTRODUCING:

Http://www.marks-aquaticlife.com
Old 04-24-2003, 06:35 PM   #49

Cool site, KUTGW
Old 04-24-2003, 10:05 PM   #50
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I hate to disappoint, but you cant do your water change yet
Just as the ammonia caused the ammonia eating bacteria to grow, the nitrite will cause a different good bacteria to grow. I know it sucks having to wait it all through. But you will be happy you did.
Opinions may differ on this, but I would wait to add crabs/snails etc until your nitrites are well on their way down, if not totally gone.

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com