It's About Time to Get This Party Started.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay. I bought a 50GPD unit from EBAY. Now... it has a DI as well... is that all I'll need? I mean... will I still need to add a chlorine/chloramine treatment? or is it then ready to add salt and sit?

The unit should remove all chlorine/chloramine. I make a batch of water, add a heater and small ph and wait for it come up to temp before adding the salt. Let that sit for a day and then do the water change. Yea, it the water container in on the floor in front of the tank for 2 days. I'm going to put it down in the basement and pump it up (eventually)

Hello All... Well today is a great day for me. Not only did I get my liveaquaria order of 2 Percula Clowns and One Bubble-tip Anemone...but my ex-girlfriend is visiting. Woo Hoo...I also added a Hawaiian Feather Duster....

By the way...I also got the RO/DI ...good luck trying to hook this thing up...And I stopped using my Seatest Hydrometer some time ago...I went to my LFS and had it tested against what they tested against a refractometer. They said their Deep Six is only .002 off of what their refractometer measures...so, based off of theirs and comparing to mine, I get what I feel is a more accurate test from the Deep Six. I also bought a Kordon Nitrate test kit because I got 5-10 MG/L (Seachem) of Nitrate vs. 20+ Mg/L (Kordon)....

I guess I should address a concern... Nitrate - how do I keep it down..(other than LR , DSB, and Tank Cleaners)

Next question: I just got my 2 clowns and they are relaxing in the quarantine tank, but I will be adding them to the main tank shortly. I'm trying to remove my Blue Devil damsel, but it's like he knows I'm coming and stays clear of the net...with all the rock it's impossible to get a a clear swipe at him...Anyone have any ideas other than removing the rock to catch him?

Try introducing the net every time you feed. When he starts eating and not paying attention to the net, you can either try catching him, or start feeding in the net. If you feed in the net....it will be rather easy to catch him. If this fails (likely) then you can try a fish trap.

Neat trick and it works with patience.. if you have a MAG lite, wait until the tank s dark, preferably in the morning, and zap it with the lite and use it to scare him into the net.. I saw a friend of mine do it and it works everytime for him.

I do it the other way and that is, take all of the rock out and then catch it, swearing to never, ever buy a damsel again :evil: :x :evil: :x

I ended up taking the rock out... It wasn't that bad and I caught him fast, it also gave me a chance to re-aquascape...He's out, they're in and all is well in my tank.

From what I read, a DSB(it is said to do best in 4") is a "black-small sized MUD" bed. But from what I see in PrettyFishies' tank, the DSB is all ocean-white sand.

Did I learn wrong?? 8O

-salute to all the masters-

A DSB should be a min of 4" of appropriately sized sand (silt - sugargrain sized) and contain infauna to "turn" the sand over. The color of the sand is inconsequential. Most use an aragonite based sand, but silica sand is acceptable.

Back
Top Bottom