Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-10-2003, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's About Time to Get This Party Started.....

Hello alll.

I''ve been asking questions in her for a couple of weeks deciding on filtration, equipment, supplies, etc. THANK YOU to all who have given me such good advice. Now...The tank has arrived and I'm underway...

On Tuesday night I drained and refilled the tank with saltwater.

After 24 hours... the parameters are as follows:
PH - 8.26
Temp: 78.1 - raised from 77.2 after adding the Mag7 Pump for Skimmer
Salinity - Seatest - 1.025, Deep Six 1.022

Questions:

1) Is 78.1 too high?
2) What do I trust about salinity with two different readings?
3) Is the liquid in the skimmer supposed to look white in the chamber?
4) Is it too early to add live rock ?

Old 04-10-2003, 01:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
The temp is not too high. Some of us actually keep it more around 80. Personal belief system....I do not think it is too early to add liverock. It will help cycle the tank. Toss in a fresh raw shrimp to get the ammonia going. Turn the skimmer off for now, but keep a nice flow of water around your rock.

Old 04-10-2003, 02:08 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to rthoman Send a message via MSN to rthoman Send a message via Yahoo to rthoman
Where both of the hydrometers clean? I know sometimes if you don't rinse them out after you use them they can show false readings. I never thought of using 2 to check it. I only use the Deep Six.
Old 04-10-2003, 02:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Turn off the Skimmer? But...I read in the New Aquarium by Micahel Paletta....that you are supposed to skim out the decaying matter of the LR while it's curing...

And by fresh raw shrimp you mean...go to the market and get a dead shrimp, right?

Rthoman - I got two to be safe...I also got a Pinpoint PH monitor...1 less test...but I do have to calibrate once a month..
Old 04-10-2003, 02:40 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
I keep all my tanks @ 80* F. Like Hara said add the rock and shut down the skimmer for now. The skimmer, when you start it up, will probably require a break in period before it will really start to work well. If you can, take a water sample to a LFS that has a way to accurately check the salinity. Either a refractometer or an electronic salinity tester. I try to keep mine @ 1.025 although I don't have any way to check my hydrometers. I have two that agree so, for now, I go with that. Remember that the hydrometer is temp sensitive and will give different readings at different temperatures. Get your water to the temp that you will keep the tank and check it again just to be sure.
Logan J
Old 04-10-2003, 02:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Logan: Thanks... I guess I'll keep my tank at 78 as that seems to be where it wants to stay because of the Mag7.

Can you further elaborate about curing the live rock? I thought you are supposed to skim off the dead matter... What process do YOU use? And how do you know it's cured?
Old 04-10-2003, 05:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to kribbz
if it's uncured it will smell realy bad. almost like sulfer.
Old 04-10-2003, 05:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well... I just purchased 142# of Fiji Pre-Cured LR

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/lr.html

Any curing tips?
Old 04-10-2003, 06:23 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

well, it may be precured, but as you most likely know, some of the organisms will die off in shipping. I think you should throw it into the tank, and so weekly water changes, and big ones. After a week or two you can turn on the skimmer, that is what i would do.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:32 AM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Yes, the shrimp is just like what you would buy raw at the meat department. That, along with the curing of the liverock, will give the ammonia a nice spike to get the good bacteria started on your rock.

The only thing I would have done differently, is maybe not filled the tank completely until the rock was cured. You only need enough water to cover the rock and circulate until it is cured, then you can add the rest of the saltwater. Just saves you a little money so that you are not wasting as much when you do the water change before adding fish.

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com