It's official!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtprkr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok...
It's official! The saltwater process has finally begun. I went to the store today and got my 55 gallons of RO water. I'm currently premixing the water and salt with a powerhead for 24 hours before i add it to the tank. My mixing container is uncovered! Is that ok? Good things are bout to happen for me.. i can feel it! Is 80lbs. of all live sand enough for a 55 FOWLR? Thanks for listening to me blab.. I'm just excited to have finally started. :D

If your starting new i wouldnt think you would have to pre mix if there is no live stock in the tank. 80lbs of sand sounds like a lot IMO. The container uncoverd will be fine if you have it where nothing can get in it! Make sure not to spray anything around your container with the lid off! Im excited for you too. Nothing like setting up a new tank. How about LR? How many lbs are in the plan?

80 lbs is fine, just according to how deep you want that sand bed! That also of course begs the question, how much rock to go with that sand?

I jus figured 1-2lbs per gallon for the live rock. I also have a Aqua C Remora for my 55 gallon FOWLR. After a few days of letting the tank run and circulate, i'll begin to add some live rock, followed by a ample clean up crew.

Heres a trick...... Add the LS to an empty tank cover with a large plastic bag and place a bowl in the center. Pour water into the bowl to fill the tank. After a while the bag will start to float, just keep pouring into the bowl area. When done remove bag and bowl and you should have no sand storm at all..... Just nice clear water.

Nels22, I haven't chosen any lighting yet. I only have the floresant bulbs that came with the tank. Any recommendations that you have would be greatly appreciated. I've briefly heard about the trick that Seaham358 is talkin about. I'm gonna need all the help and tricks that i can get. Thanks Seaham!

Talk to Darin @ captivereefs. He can fix you up with a light setup that has reg, antics, and your moonloghts all in 1 fixture. :mrgreen:

If you're gonna stick with a FOWLR tank, you don't need to get too crazy with the lights. If you want your rock to prosper w/ lots of coraline algae, you'll need to upgrade. Just a quick pointer, you will probably want to convert it to a reef system one day. Keep that in mind when you buy your lighting. I too had planned on starting a FOWLR system and then it took me three whole days to realize I wanted more!!!! This hobby is so addicting and brings me so much joy! Look at some PC fixtures from coralife. I always hear good things about them and they don't cost nearly as much as MH.

Back
Top Bottom