it's small, it's white, it moves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
I put in my live rock about a week ago. Today I noticed a small white critter on the rock. It is small and white and definitely moved since I can't see it anymore. It looked like it might be s little star fish with some missing legs (?).

Is this a good rider, or a bad rider? Do I let him stay or dig him out the next time she shows up?

Its funny how some like them and others don't , I can't get rid of them fast enough , every water change I suck them up 1 or 2 is ok thousands they gotta go , they are worse than rabbits IMO

It looks like I have three of them. As usual, as with many things in this hobby, some people like them, some people don't and you have to figure out which side you are on.

Right now they are the only moving living things in my tank, so I will leave them. Once I get some more interesting creatures and/or if they start multiplying, I will work on getting them out.

they are harmless but they multiply fast 3 one day 12 the next and so on ,
they actually tell you your tank is healthy , I am one of the ones who just don't like them ,
others can't have enough of them , my problem is I'm a bit OCD :D

I had asterinas get into my tank and now can't get rid of them. When there were only a few it was fine. They multiply rapidly and, last time I cleaned my tank I threw out nearly 100 of the darn things.

One thing eats asterina;
Harlequin shrimp!
They eat regular starfish also once the asterina are under control(note I did not eradicated).
I had 2 shrimp ,a pair that I thought ate all the little stars but months later I see a star every now and then!
I can't say t hey are good or bad?
Some say the white ones are ok but the darker ones are not?
Here is a short link from GARF
GARF predatory starfish 11/25/01

I have bright white ones and tan ones all over my tank and I love them. Never seen them bugging the corals

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom