I've done some research... need suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishalicious

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone. I'm normally a freshwater fish keeper but i've decided to go in for the "challenge" of keeping a saltwater FOWLR. Over the past few days, I've been doing some SW research to see what I need to do differently and what type of equipment I should buy for the big change.

So far this is what I have. Please feel FREE to leave ANY kind of suggestions whether its to change my setup, add something, or even suggest a better name brand from personal use. I appreciate it!

-75 gallon Glass tank (Before I setup, I may go acrylic if I have some spare $$)

-Skimmer: AquaC Remora PRO w/mag 3

-Lighting: This is one of my bigger questions. Should I continue with the 2 NO florescent dual strip lights with 2 GE SW aqua rays and 2 GE SW blue? or will it be completely worth my while to get a 4x65w compact? If so, what brand around $230? and do I have to buy a new hood for that?

-Live Sand (is this a great addition? Can I mix it with something else to keep costs lower?)

R/O- I definitely NEED r/o water correct? From what my research tells me, a r/o d/i unit is best. im all set with always having to buy from the LFS. Any recommendations on good r/o units around $200?
And also, supplements to add into the R/O water. I was thinking Seachem liquid marine buffer to restore some lost elements and keep the pH between 8.1-8.3.. Does R/O water always come out a straight 7.0 or does it depemd on where you live?

Hydrometer- Suggested Brand?

Salt Mix- after reading numberous debates, i've thought tropic marin might be a good brand...?

UV Sterilizer- Thought about one of these and will only buy if I have extra cash. I was thinking the turbo twist.

I will also be constructing a 29 Gallon sump for my marine tank.

Let me know what ya'll think. Whether I might be okay with all of this or whether I should keep researching..
Thanks
-Dan

Great skimmer.
Lighting doesn't matter as much in a FOWLR.
You could use live sand with the live rock or go barebottom with just rock.
If you have access to it and want live sand, get plain sand and take a cup of "seeded" sand from another hobbyist.
I would go with R/O, check bigalsonline.
The only thing you'll need to add is salt mix. It has all of the minerals etc.. that you need. You could use crushed coral to help buffer the pH. R/O is 7.0
I use a cheap hydrometer, others may tell you about refractometers.
Tropic Marin is a great brand.
UV sterilizer isn't neccessary in a FOWL tank.

Kim

Lighting: This is one of my bigger questions. Should I continue with the 2 NO florescent dual strip lights with 2 GE SW aqua rays and 2 GE SW blue? or will it be completely worth my while to get a 4x65w compact? If so, what brand around $230?
I would go with CF right off the bat. Coralife makes some great hoods. Check out www.captivereefs.com for some options. They are a sponsor of this site.
Live Sand (is this a great addition? Can I mix it with something else to keep costs lower?)
Yes, and no. Reef sand is a great substrate. However, you do not need to spend the money on that "live sand" in a bag from the LFS. Not worth the money. Get a nice aragonite based play sand or by the dry sand from your LFS.
R/O- I definitely NEED r/o water correct?
RO/DI water will certainly make your life a bit easier. ebay or our sponsor's links to some unitls.
UV Sterilizer
Not needed for now.

id like to personally thank both of you for helping me out with that.

just one more question, i see the Aqua FX Barracuda on the captivereefs website. that a good one? or am i better off with a pinnacle by seachem or a kent of some sort? any suggestions welcome!

thanks again!
-Dan

i see the Aqua FX Barracuda on the captivereefs website
Yes. Most RO/DI systems are pretty much the same. Differences come in number of stages and output/day. Pretty much the same guts.

Skimmer: AquaC Remora PRO w/maxi jet

lose the mag 3 and go for a maxi jet 1200

For the Remora PRO you will need the Mag 3, the Maxi Jet will not be able to power it and I do not think is even offered with the PRO. The Mag 3 is a great pump . . . just need to stay away from the Rios.

tripper

tripper said:
For the Remora PRO you will need the Mag 3, the Maxi Jet will not be able to power it and I do not think is even offered with the PRO. The Mag 3 is a great pump . . . just need to stay away from the Rios.

tripper

sorry about that.. forgot its for a pro. you re right. mag is the way to go. I have a regular remora w/maxi jet.

Back
Top Bottom