I've done something stupid.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Krypt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, most of us have stories about drinking a little bit too much and doing something with out thinking and I am included in that group. After the Superbowl, in the wake of a grand party where I got in touch with my pirate roots (Capt. Morgan), I decided it would be awesome to order a fish online :drinking: .

I tried to call the company today and cancel the order but unfortunately I called 15 minutes after FedEx picked up the fish. So I now have a Chocolate Tang en route to my house and I'm in a bit of a pickle, my QT tank isn't ready I think .

I needed to setup my QT fast so I took out my 10g tank, filled it with some fresh SW and some LR rubble. I also took my back up HOB filter and hooked it up in the QT tank and I took one of the filter pads from the DT and put it in the QT's HOB filter. I'm hoping this will work, what do you all think?

and yes, I expect 50 lashes for drunken irresponsibilty :whip:

If you use sw out of your tank you wont have to cycle it. Other wise, IDK

I have done this before also. The fact of the matter is that you will need to watch water parameters every day. The water in the tank is fine, but the bacteria in the tank may not be enough so throw as much LR as you can in and a filter media if possible to take care of the nitrates and hopefully your tank will not cycle.

Using water from the main tank will provide little to no help in cycling the QT...the bacteria are primarily attached to surfaces, not in the water. I agree with popcorn to add some LR and filter material from the main tank and be prepared to do frequent water changes and stay on top of testing the QTs parameters. With any luck you should be ok.

Agree with Newfound... no such thing as "cycled water" so your main tank's water isn't going to do you any good.

Sounds like you've done everything you can to get bacteria into the quarantine tank. The used filter pad will help, but may not be enough. Like the others have said, watch the QT parameters and have lots of premade saltwater on hand that will let you do 30% daily water changes... just in case.

get an ammonia source in the QT tank to feed your bio filter.

at least it was a chocolate tang and not a shark

Well the Tang just arrived, got my spare water made and fingers crossed. I hope this works.

The advantage to using display water in your QT is that your fish will be acclimated to your display parameters. I always use my display water, You really run no more risk of transferring something bad than you do when move filter media out of your sump to the QT. As long as all the parameters are in check I don't waste new water in the QT

Well, all seems okay. He's swimming around and already polished off some garlic soaked marine algae I put on a clip for him. Guess for the next 2-3 weeks its water changes and Prime for him, as long as he stay healthy anyway,

can you get a pic? sorry, i know its bad, but i laughed at your story. At least you didnt get something totally out there like a shark or something like somebody mentioned before

can you get a pic? sorry, i know its bad, but i laughed at your story. At least you didnt get something totally out there like a shark or something like somebody mentioned before

I'll get a pic of him as soon as I find my camera, (kids were playing with it so it's MIA). But yeah, I'm glad I at least made a sensible selection and didn't go overboard and order some 6ft long shark or something lol.

Back
Top Bottom