I've finally done it!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaMason

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have finally after years of wanting and waiting I have my tank! I have a 36 gallon bowfront saltwater tank. It's been running for five days now and am getting ready for it to be ready for fish. Not sure what I want yet but that's alright with me. Her she is in all her tiny glory.IMG_20170224_204957820.jpgIMG_20170225_142502.jpgIMG_20170226_144804893.jpg
Definitely a work in progress. However progress is progress

Looks like a solid start. I started with a 36 bowfront just like that.
What are your plans for the tank? I would add more rock so you can support the the beneficial bacteria and help establish territories.

Looks like a solid start. I started with a 36 bowfront just like that.
What are your plans for the tank? I would add more rock so you can support the the beneficial bacteria and help establish territories.
Yea I'm getting another 10lbs Monday. It's all man made rock, saving the reef lol. I plan to just have a clean classy little reef. I'm also using live sand and some seed from seachem to help start the bacteria

Sounds nice. I really liked the added width from the bow on my 36. Helped with scaping the tank and area for clams. I'm a big nut for 'sandbed' corals and inverts.

You still need to add an ammonia source and cycle the tank. Do you have test kits?

No water being good means nothing. There is like no beneficial bacteria in the water column and new rock/ sand doesn't have much in it already. That's why the tank needs to be cycled

It could, but will make a mess and shove a huge amount of unnecessary phosphates into the water column. It would be better to put either a cocktail shrimp into some old panty hose or to use some pure ammonia.

There is an article about cycling in our articles section, but you want to watch ammonia spike and turn into nitrite, and then the nitrite spike and turn into nitrates.

Well I went to my LFS and he said my water is good except for my ph is too low. So I have a few more days of pH play ahead of me

PH is affected by CO2 exchange. Point a powerhead at the surface of the water to get a nice ripple effect going. That is all you need. People that chase pH with chemicals almost always end up causing issues and crashes in their systems. Your tank will tell you where it will want to naturally sit as it will fluctuate through the day and during the time of the year due to furnaces being on and not many windows being open during winter months.

Back
Top Bottom