I've never done this before. Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishCrazyBenBOMB

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well I have like 6 fw fish aquarium and I wanted to see if I could attempt a sw.

First of all what size aquarium would be the easiest and cheapest. Next I would like it if somone good give me a detailed list of what i'll need to buy to set it up (so I get a price range).

This would be awesome if somone could take the time and help me out!

Thank you!!

what"s your budget?

I'd go with 50g or larger. Fish only or reef and fish? Helps to determine what you'll need to buy.

what"s your budget?

I'd go with 50g or larger. Fish only or reef and fish? Helps to determine what you'll need to buy.

I want to do a reef and fish setup, and the price I want to aim at the minimum and you think I could do it in like a 20 long? If not just say so then continue on with price range :D

It really depends. I would as stated before, recommend a 55 gallon plus. If you really really want to start smaller I'd probably recommend an aquapod or something of the sort ( an all in one smaller tank). But, from my experience as being sort of new into the hobby my 55 gallon is MUCH more stable than my 10 gallon QT tank. The water temp changes/ swings daily in the QT as well as the water evaporates much more quickly in the 10 gal as where the 55 gallon does not fluctuate at all ( water also evaporates more slowly). If you ignore a 20 gallon for 1 day you'll have problems, if you ignore a 55 gallon for 1 day, not too many issues usually.

I got my 55 gallon relatively cheap. If you have a good place to put it and dont need a stand you can sometimes find 55 gallon 'kits' for $150 or so. My whole set up before adding equipment was about $300. Its possible! Keep in mind too, you dont have to buy everything at once, as it takes 4-6 + weeks to cycle the aquarium, giving you time to save up!

I'd also recommend starting with a FOWLR ( fish with live rock ) tank to save some money on lighting at first when you start up. Not only is the lighting kind of pricey, but SW critters ( especially coral) are hard to keep for a beginner in SW. Ive had my tank for about 6 months now and probably wont start corals for a while yet!

go with the biggest tank you can afford...the mistake most hobbyists make is that they go cheap, and down the road they realize thier tank is just not big enough for that they want to do anymore....so what happens? We end up spending MORE money upgrading to a bigger tank.

So, always, go as big as you can reasonably afford.

I have about $3000 invested into my 46gallon and I kick myself everyday for not starting a bigger tank in the beginning

For comparison purposes that is 4,477 Coors Light's. Always helps to relate it to something meaningful in your life :)

For comparison purposes that is 4,477 Coors Light's. Always helps to relate it to something meaningful in your life :)

LOL!!

Starting a SW tank can be a challenge especially when dealing with smaller tanks. Most people who have nano tanks have larger systems already established. I agree with the recommendation of going as big as possible. A 55 is a good place to start. With a 20g tank you will be very limited to the fish you can keep and you will have to deal with potential temp, ph and SG swings.

As was also mentioned if you want to start smaller look into one of the complete nano systems.

Back
Top Bottom