I've noticed a brown tinge on my live rock and a small brown patch on my sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm on my 5th week of my cycle I've noticed a brown tinge on my live rock and a small brown patch on my sand I've done two water changes 20percent my stats are ph 8.0 nitrat 1mg nitrit 0mg ammonium is 0.01 when do I clean my filter materials

The brown tinge is diatoms. All tanks go through a diatom stage. Once they absorb some of the silicates in the water column and substrate, they normally start to disappear.

As far as cleaning filter materials, it sounds like you're doing a fishless cycle (GOOD) and you shouldn't need to clean or change any of it unless there's a clog during the cycle.

What kind of filtration do you have?

It's a built in filtration system bio balls active carbon ceramic rings and skimmer the cup at top of skimmer so that's going to be a pain to clean the systems is at the back of the tank no sump

You can empty the skimmer collection cup anytime or clean the neck of the skimmer if it gets a build up of sludge, but that's it.

Thanks for your help from richy the scotsman

Back
Top Bottom