Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-10-2005, 06:31 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
Japanese rock crabs for my tank?

my work buddy fishes off the rock jetties in Jersey and told me about this small crab that was introduced from Asia. Below is a description of it.

Could a few of these work in my tank?

The Japanese Shore Crab (Hemigrapsus sanguineus) has arrived by way of ballast in ships and poses a threat to the natural balance of life in the Bay. This species is an opportunistic omnivore, feeding on macroalgae, salt marsh grass, larval and juvenile fish, and small invertebrates such as amphipods, gastropods, bivalves, barnacles, and polychaetes. The Asian shore crab is highly reproductive with a breeding season from May to September, twice the length of native crabs. The females are capable of producing 50,000 eggs per clutch with 3-4 clutches per breeding season. The larvae are suspended in the water for approximately one month before developing into juvenile crabs. Because of this, the larvae have the ability to be transported over great distances, a possible means of new introductions. This versatile crab inhabits any shallow hard-bottom intertidal or sometimes subtidal habitat. They can live on artificial structures and on mussel beds and oyster reefs. They also tend to aggregate at high densities under rocks where they overlap habitats with native crab species. Hemigrapsus can tolerate wide ranges of salinity and temperature as well as damp conditions in the upper intertidal regions.

Hemigrapsus was first recorded in the United States at Townsend Inlet, Cape May County, New Jersey in 1988. This species is now well established and exceptionally abundant along the Atlantic intertidal coastline of the United States from Maine to North Carolina.

120 g FOWLR, Pro Clear 200 19 gal. sump (bio balls removed), 50# Walt Smith FiJi LR, 150# reefersrock base, 300# DSB, Iwaki MD 20 return, (2) Rio 600s, (2) Hagen 802s, Amiracle Quad II skimmer, (2) Coralife 4 X 65s, 2 Lebo moonlights, (2) 120 mm vent. fans,

(2) Perc. Clowns, (1) Yellow Tang, (1) cleaner shrimp, (2) Henis, pending: Foxace Lo, Flame Angel, blue legs, scarlets, 4 emerald crabs, nassarius snails, 50 mexican turbos, (1) good bankruptcy attorney when this hobby blows out of control!
spinman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 07:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
I would be leary of adding them. The description says they are omnivores and will prey on other inverts. I would think your snails, hermits, other crabs, dusters, worms, etc would all be in jeopardy. And, even small fish if the description can be trusted. Even the "reef safe" crabs have the potential to become a nuicense once grown so adding a known problem crab would not be beneficial. JMO.

Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
especially one that has such an easy time of reproduction....
75g w/ 30g sump, 160# LR, 60# sand: Inverts =18 turbos, 30 nassirus's, 40 blue leg's, 5 emeralds, 1 CBS, 1 skunk cleaner, 1 brown gulf shrimp? and various other LR hitch hikers yet un discovered or un-ID'ed
Fish=1 yellow tang, 1 yellow headed jawfish, 1 pink/blue shrimpgoby, 2 perc clowns.
Future fish = 1 sixline, 1 lawnmower blenny
mykpoz is offline   Reply With Quote

crab, crabs, rock, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com