Jaw fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bird33

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was told you need a 6" sand bed to have jaw fish. Correct??

I'd say thats a bit extreme, a 3 inch or so sand bed should be fine. Mine used to dig a hole under the rocks so he had his little home. The key is to have enough sand that he can dig a hole for himself.

Thanks Carey I also heard that he would bury under the rocks. My wife is dying for us to get jaw fish. Just finished most of my plumbing !! Thinking about going to get some live rock and water tonight!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396466569.631289.jpg

I have a orange spotted goby that does the same thing. I only have a 2 inch sand bed and he is happy as a pig in mud. I'm getting a blue dot jaw fish for my 20g nano and he will be my only fish in that tank.

Good, cause I didn't want a deep bed.

Hey guys! Can I use super glue gel for a stand for my skimmer??? I can't find any info if it will hurt anything !!

Well I made a stand with plexiglass and I glued some PVC legs on with super glue gel.

I have a orange spotted goby that does the same thing. I only have a 2 inch sand bed and he is happy as a pig in mud. I'm getting a blue dot jaw fish for my 20g nano and he will be my only fish in that tank.

Jawfish like to make burrows opposed to hiding under a rock. A sand bed is more to their liking as they are not found in rock piles in the ocean but on sand flats. A 6" bed is a bit extreme in a home tank but not too unnatural for the species. It likes to burrow all the way down to the bottom. What we've done in the past is put a section of the tank with a deep container with holes for circulation and netting to contain the sand so that the entire bottom didn't need to be so deep. We placed rock in front of the containers to make the landscape look more natural and the jaws had plenty of sand to dig in.

Just make sure your tank has a good cover for that blue dot. Jawfish are Olympic jumpers ;) (y)

Back
Top Bottom