jbj 28hqi build.... sorta.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Also forgot to mention about the algae that started a while back, you need to remove from the water to get rid of it, but i stopped scrubbing one rock and let it grow. Its getting fairly long on it and the rest of the tank is taking several days to get a build up. I just went four days with only a small buildup on the glass. In another week or so i take out the rock and hopefully "remove" the problem

Thanks, ill let you guys know if it actually works, as in the algae stays away when i remove therock

Well, so far this algae on one rock is doing great! My wife says to me, umm... Did you know that algae is really long over here!
yes, yes I did, thank you for noticing, did you notice its hardly growing anywhere else?
Should it be like that long though?

Couple morr days pull it out and see if it helps. Also my replacement replacement snails are still alive! But i think my aggrssive crab has been in hiding for a few days so well see if they fare better. I really need to get him out, but i havent had time to tear it all down.

kurtyboh said:
Well, so far this algae on one rock is doing great! My wife says to me, umm... Did you know that algae is really long over here!
yes, yes I did, thank you for noticing, did you notice its hardly growing anywhere else?
Should it be like that long though?

Couple morr days pull it out and see if it helps. Also my replacement replacement snails are still alive! But i think my aggrssive crab has been in hiding for a few days so well see if they fare better. I really need to get him out, but i havent had time to tear it all down.

Id wait until you can barely see any other algae then remove it. lol it sounds like you've a refugium your tank

Ive noticed very little algae growing since i pulled the algae encrusted rock out a week ago! Ill get a pic when i turn on lights

Ok, so its been a couple of days, and i still havent posted a pic.... Sorry guys, just going nonstop, til its past lights out for the tank, tomorows another day though, so we shall see what it brings

Its been more than a week since ive cleaned my tank, you csn see a little on the glass and some on the back wall where i cant reach. But it used to be if i didnt clean the tank the next day i couldnt see into it! The rock i took out had like 4" of algae or more craziness

ForumRunner_20120107_114255.jpg

Finally, the wait is over, fish in qt for a month and now in dt! The fire fish bolted, and hid instantly, made me wonder in he jumped... Finally found him in there though so def plus there. Coral goby, has lost some color during his tme of qt, he has only eaten sporadically, hopefully he'll hunt some of the small isopods for food.

Also, i think ive id'd another crab, def a hairy red crab, hes by far my fav and has some pretty cool coloration. The last one... I was leaning towards strawberry crab, but only his claws are pink.

Ok so, update needed!
First off, I think I must have had serious delusions of grandeur. Several of my inverts were most likely ided incorrectly. No red hairy crab or strawberry.. I am not sure at all really, anyhow they are gone. I had something killing fish, so I started with the most likely suspects and got rid of the crabs (except the 2 hermits) however I have my suspect at long last and sent the two (most likely innocent) parties away. The other day my coral beauty was picking at some rocks, just above the red legged hermit, the hermit grabbed the beauty and started his meal. I was kind of in shock about it. It also makes me wonder about my blue lightning hermits death. I would never have guessed the hermit could catch a coral beauty.
I currently only have 2 clowns, (ocellaris) and a Mertensi carpet nem (not gigantea) several hundred zoa heads, nassarius, cerith, and bee snails, a fighting conch (sometimes I think it may be a cone snail as they're pretty prevalent around here) I also have a sea egg a couple of small feather duster and a skunk cleaner shrimp. Thousands of copepods, isopods, and limpets come out at night, although I do believe the limpets numbers are dwindling. I have one other hermit that I have no clue what type.
I still have the jbj 28 nanotechnology running stock although I am finally adding a aqua euro nano 2 skimmer at the end of the month. I will also be upgrading the lights to led next yr.
In the past yr I have had some issues crop up, once my son dumped almost 2 pounds of food in... I was able to get everything out and into hospital fairly quickly. But while in there something got stressed, the tank clouded and while every invert lived not one fish survived.
I would be qting a new coral beauty and yellow goby but we move at the end of the month, and moving one tank is going to be hard enough. We get keys to the house the 28th and this place has to be clear the 30th...talk about Suck! The current plan is to set up my qt at a friends house, move everything over, including water so there is no acclimation period. Then get my dt set up with new water reacclimate the current stock, reset the qt, and get a new beauty.
I have been battling cyano since January after I went on vacation and had a friend watch my tank. It's getting much better now that I have switched to 2xs a week pwcs. I went from 20% every 2 weeks before Dec. To weekly 10% when I returned to a tank of soup. Everything lived so not a huge deal just a lot of extra work. Anyhow the 10s were not working so upgraded to 20, seemed to slow it considerably but not kill it, now on 15 every 4 days and seeing results.
All in all very content to just enjoy my tank but without the cyano it would be much better

I thought everyone would enjoy some tank pics. there is a little cyano, hopefully get the last of it with tonights pwc. so little has grown in the past 4 days kinda shocking to me, the battle is almost over! I did harvest a lot of the calpera grapes earlier, so the tank is cloudy, but the grapes were really taking over...
anyhow, enjoy!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2rqW6mTTg2LcEw0ZDcwZHpObzg/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2rqW6mTTg2LOHhhWHZDSzBLYk0/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2rqW6mTTg2LbDBYU0lrRVluY2s/edit?usp=sharing
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2rqW6mTTg2LNmRDQ1JtTU9iTTA/edit?usp=sharing

Holy zooa batman! lol You have some monster colonies going on! hehe looks good. I didnt see any cyano really so you may be right that it is almost over. :)

Yeah I had a single colony of about 20 heads, I've also given away 4 colonies with 30-50 heads. I'm afraid to put another type in

Back
Top Bottom