Jebo sw?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Really so just one of them light bars would work just fine? Ok so this tank is not drilled I will need a hang on the side overflow wich I reall dont want cause of the syhpon do you think I could make one out of acrylik the hole depth of the tank and pump the water to my sump or am I way over thinking this thing. I am going to take some pics of my tank with the lid off tom so you guys can see what I got. Thanks once again!

There is nothing wrong with the siphon of the HOB overflows. If the power goes out, the water will drain to the siphon-break and it will stop. Measure the tank width and depth so we can tell you what kind of lighting you will need and find you an example fixture.

So that light, premade sump,skimmer my 18 uv light,some kinda wave maker (or not if i don't need one at first but would like to get every thing together before I start my work) thick bed of sand on some kinda DIY and a overflow. No lid open tank. I would like to be able to buy all the parts minus the sand/live rock for around a grand. Lights 500 skimmer 250 sump 150 thats 900 more on the giving side. Now when you HOB overflow your talking about on the outside can you have one that hangs on the inside and get a true skim of the top of the water and suck that water out? I had a HOB syphon type filter when I was a kid and hated that thing what a pain it was If we can come up with a way to get a skim and not use a syphon I would be in haven. I guess the pump would have to take the water out at the same rate it went in and that would be hard to do. Well I have about two months to think about it and at this rate I should be good in one at least to the point where I feel confident enough to start and buy stuff.

OK so I found the overflow that I am going to use and a skimmer. Now I am thinking about lights? Since the top of my lid is alum I was going to ditch it and get a light bar but now that I know none of the water will ever hit the alum I think I am going to use it what do you all think good or bad idea? If I do keep it like I want to I guess I need to buy new bulbs but it only has room for 2 will this be enough light for a reef tank. I am thinking that you need 2 kinds of light moon and day could I buy a in the tank moon light? I did have a 36'' one at one time just for looks but it broke some how? Another option that I have thought of is to buy a piece of acyrlic and cut it to fit for a lid. It would have two 15''x15'' squars cut out of it. One in the center of each side of the tank. Then buy one of them light bars that coast like 400 pluse? I don't think using the lid and new light will work as good as a new light bar but before I spend 600 buck I figured I would ask what you guys think? I think the second will work better and given how good of a job I do with the lid will look better as well!

Question
1. What do you guys think of my 2 lid setups (money vs performance) wich one.
2. My over flow is going to be at a 1500 gph rate what power return pump should I get?
3. I am not sure what size sump I can fit under my tank maybe a 20g if I take the back of the stand apart and put it back together. This will be enough right? I might of asked this one already?
4. Am I forgetting anything important?

Thankx for the help guys cant wait till I start this build.

No acrylic lid, you need to leave it open to get proper gas exchange at the surface to keep a proper stable ph and a lid will prevent that. As for lights, this: T-5 Aquarium Lighting: Nova Extreme T-5 Fixtures w/Lunar Lights should work, or you can look into metal halide. Lunars are NOT required and neither are actinics. Actinics are just eye candy IMO. As for a return pump, it will be based on how tall it is from the pump to the top of the tank is. Generally, you want to match the overflow and return GPH closely, but it doesn't have to be an exact match.

I know you said that the open tanks are the best but with the kids and all in the house somekind of cover would make me feel much better! Do you think that if the had lid them 2 15''x15'' and another set of smaller hole would allow enough gas extange? This lid would not be a complete enclouser.

Back
Top Bottom