Jeremy's 150 Reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpope30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well here it is in the 1st stages. It is a 150GL, 72 x 18 x 28, with standard hood and stand.

Filter: FX5
Substrate: Live Sand: Oolite 160lbs
Lighting: Standard bulbs with generic hoods 4 x 36" bulbs

I will be changing out my lighting soon and will post pics of that. All that I have at this point is the start of what will hopefully be a great REEF Tank. My Chromis seem to love all the room...lol

Feel free to comment at any time with good or bad comments. I will try to keep the thread on going for as long as there is interest.

Thanks and I hope everyone enjoys,

Jeremy:hat:

Attachments

• h20salt1.jpg
    h20salt1.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 65
  • h20salt2.jpg
    h20salt2.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 58
  • h20salt3.jpg
    h20salt3.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 59
  • h20salt4.jpg
    h20salt4.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 58
Looking good so far. I have the same "Live, Laugh, Love" hanging in my kitchen. What are your plans for live rock and future livestock?

LOL,,,,,small world.

I am going to order some dry base rock from Marco Rocks for my aquascaping then place live rock around it. I am leaning toward Fijji right now. Livestock will be reef safe fish,inverts,sea apple,soft corals,and SPS. It will be a work in progress for awhile.

Thanks,
Jeremy

When you add your live rock be very careful about watching your levels. The die off from the rock can cause small little mini cycles and the ammonia will stress out any thing live in the tank.

Also, don't forget when placing the rock take into account water displacement. Marco rocks come with a lot of dead critters in them so that could also cause a re-cycle.

I'm not sure, but looking at the top right pic... What are those two shiny lines going diagonal from the top? It almost looks like your backdrop has some waves in it. (yes, the "King of Creep" is about to preach this again) :p

If those are waves in your backdrop, you might want to consider fixing or replacing. Salt creep will most certainly get into your backdrop and make it look pretty nasty. Personally, I prefer the paint method. See my post here..

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/new-tank-106825-2.html#post905152

**cough**...eagles..**cough cough** fans are **cough** always right.

LOL! So that's why they have a jail in the stadium...? LOL!

LOL,,,,,small world.

I am going to order some dry base rock from Marco Rocks for my aquascaping then place live rock around it. I am leaning toward Fijji right now. Livestock will be reef safe fish,inverts,sea apple,soft corals,and SPS. It will be a work in progress for awhile.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Jeremy,

Great start to your tank!

Couple of things. Skip the sea apple, not a good idea. They can and will eventually die and poison the tank. They are cool as heck but just not a good inhabitant.

I'm a reef nut and love the SPS corals. One thing you are going to have to look at is upgrading your lighting. It looks like standard lights on your tank. Those will not support corals. Also getting those tops off the tank will help keep your PH stable by allowing the needed O2 exchange at the surface.

I think I mentioned before that you will want to look at upgrading to a sump system. Hang-on-the-back overflows will take care of getting the water out of the tank and into the sump. Adding a refugium with lots of macro algae and some LR along with a sand bed will aid in filtration. The canister filters just don't do the job for a reef tank. Also a skimmer is a must IMO.

I'm looking forward to following your thread!

Back
Top Bottom