Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired_AF

Thats one area I wasnt sure about. I have plenty of PVC and egg crate, so I can lift it up. I'm a little confused about placement of the skimmer. There are water level marks on the unit at 10 and 14 inches. I'm not sure if thats supposed to be inside or outside the unit. I built the baffles at 12. I wrote to the company asking about this but didnt get an answer. I guess this will be one of those trial-and-error things, adding more under the unit until it starts working properly.
I have my reef octopus in 9" of water. On my PVC eggcrate stand I have threaded legs for adjustment if need be. And your baffle should have 2 dividers. 2 nd should be slightly higher and about 2" off bottom of tank that will allow skimmer section to stay at constant depth which is necessity.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Raised up the skimmer... I can adjust as needed by changing small pieces of PVC...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03660a.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	137.6 KB
ID:	79488  

Old 02-29-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Started my leak test today. The overflow section has a pretty significant leak and I will need to reseal it soon. Then I will try it again.

My rock, sand and a bunch of other stuff starts arriving tomorrow! Since I'm using dry rock and sand for now that isnt a problem. I have 100 pounds of rock and 40 pounds of Tahitian Moon black sand coming in plus a lot of other stuff.

It's all coming together!
Old 03-01-2012, 05:35 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Finished the leak check. Found 1 leaking baffle in the sump. Repaired it as well as the one for the overflow.

The stuff I ordered has started to arrive. Between today, tomorrow and Monday I should receive the vast majority. Then I can think about assembling the parts.....

Once I do that I can start mixing the water...

All of this after I verify the repairs worked, of course...
Old 03-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Ahhh crap!!!!!!!!!!!

Tried my final water leak test... Darn overflow is STILL leaking! GRRRRR
Old 03-08-2012, 07:06 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I have water flowing!

I finally got the plumbing sorted out and everything is working! It still has fresh water in it but I figured out the kinks in the plumbing and now have flowing water and no leaks. I have the sump levels figured out and marked.

The return pump is a little noisier than I had hoped. I forsee a replacement in the not-too distant future,

I have a question about the noise from the overflow. I dont think the wife will like the constant splashing noise. How do I quieten it down?
Old 03-08-2012, 07:44 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What kind of overflow is it?
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 07:54 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Corner overflow. In the center is a PVC pipe with slits cut in it (I assume to let water through since thats what it does) and a round sponge on the pipe about 3 inches in diameter and 4 inches tall. The sponge falls to the bottom of the pipe when the water starts running.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

O sorry man can't help you there. If you had two pipes going to the sump you could put a ball valve on one pipe to quiet it down. I did that to my hang on overflow even though It is quiet anyways. Maybe making a standpipe or something along those lines . Hopefully someone who is familiar with those will chime in. Edit I forgot to mention my overflow has a lid . Believe it or not the lid is the reason my overflow is so quiet if i take it off it's very loud and annoying. Not sure what yours looks like but maybe you can make a lid for it.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Lights are up and operational

Finally got the sump setup right by making and installing a durso standpipe. I had to run a new power outlet in the house to handle the power load this tank will give. Put in a 20 Amp GFI with a slave outlet (total of 4 outlets) that I can plug almost everything into. Hung the lights this past weekend. Now I can work on the sand bed and rocks...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03666a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	122.6 KB
ID:	85029  

Tags
90 gallon, build, tall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com