Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

This weekend I cleaned the Tahitian Moon sand and put it in, then my son and I put in the dry rock, power heads and temp sensors. I have started making RO/DI water to mix the salt water, hopefully this week.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03679a.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	86284   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03682a.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	86285  

Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Very nice so far. Looks like you're creating a tank for smaller fish since the rocks take up lots of swimming space.

Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Exactly! My plan is more towards a reef with a few (maybe 6 -8) smaller fish, 4-5 inches maximum size with some inverts.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Talking

Finally, I got all the water mixed, the tank filled, pumps running and dosed the tank to start my fishless cycle.

I had to move some of the rocks around as the sand was moving around some from the powerheads and rocks looked like they were shifting and getting ready to fall. I like the new arrangement better anyway. I'm at work now so pics will have to wait until later.

I was surprised at how little water it took to fill the aquarium and sump. I know the rocks and skimmer take up space but with a 90 gallon tank and a 20 gallon sump I only used 78 gallons of water.

I tested and recorded the initial parameters for everything except Magnesium. I am trying to find a test kit for that, probably will order it online if I cant find one around here. Also, I'm looking for some decent looking live rock to seed the tank while it is cycling. Hopefully I will be able to get it plus some rubble by the weekend.

Here's where I am really having to excercise my control and patience. I was in a store yesterday and saw a BEAUTIFUL flame angel. I wanted it SO bad but had to force myself to let it stay where it was.

Anyway, thats the latest. Thanks to all that have helped and offered advice on this and my other threads when I was asking questions. I am sure there will be many more to come and the people here offer advice without trying to get me to join their clubs (4 hours is too far to drive to join some of them). Thats why, after looking at other forums, I always come back here. You guys ROCK!
Old 05-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

I've been out of town for just over a week. When I got back I found that I have life in the tank!

I found some stomatella snails, 2 small bristle worms, some small white anemones and an aiptasia (now deceased), some white 'bugs' which could be small stomatellas, and several small feather dusters.

Did some testing and have found the ammonia levels are dropping fairly quickly, nitrites are present as well as nitrates. Preparing to do a PWC to help with the 'trates. Added some chaeto and grape caulerpa to the 'fuge. Started dosing some Purple Up to help the coraline spread.

It's coming together!!!!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:24 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Question Did I screw up???

I am currently at day 20 of my fishless cycle.

At day 15 I started finding life in the tank. I found some stomatella snails, some tiny red feather dusters, an aiptasia (now deceased), a couple small white feathery things too small to take a pic of (possibly anemones, but they dont seem to move or retract when disturbed), and 2 small bristle worms (good ones, I checked).

Things have been progressing well but suddenly, 2 days ago, my nitrates skyrocketed from 0 to 40(Tuesday) to 160 yesterday. Today I did a 20% water change and retested everything.

I have been dosing ammonia daily to keep it at 2.0.

After the water change today I ran the tests and these are my results:
SG - 1.0245
Ammonia - 0.25
pH - 8.4
Nitrites - 2.0
Nitrates - 160, possibly more since the red was VERY dark. I retested after recleaning the test tube to make sure it was accurate.
Calcium - 460
dKH - 6

I am currently making more RO/DI so I can make salt water to do another PWC to get the Nitrates down, hopefully by Saturday.

I noticed that the Nitrate numbers jumped the day after I dosed the tank with Purple Up to stimulate the coraline spreading to my dry rock and adding macroalgae to the sump.

I know these readings normally fluctuate as the cycling process progresses, but the Nitrates numbers seem extreme. Did I mess up by using the Purple Up?
Should I continue dosing the ammonia? I have no livestock in the tank other than what is listed above so I am thinking yes, but I would like the Nitrites and especially Nitrates to drop some before I do.

Opinions??
Old 05-05-2012, 02:54 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

looks great so far
Old 05-05-2012, 03:00 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey how did you get your structure to stay like that? Looks sweet!
Old 05-19-2012, 05:41 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Hey how did you get your structure to stay like that? Looks sweet!
Gravity... LOL

Seriously, I bought this from BRS and it locks together pretty well. I have rearranged some of them and will post pics later.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion

Talking IT IS ALIVE (almost)

Mixed day yesterday, good news and bad...

40 days into my fishless cycle... Cycle is nearly complete by all signs...

The bad new is that my moonlights have failed on my $300 light system...

The good news is that my dry rock now has little purple spots growing on it!

Tags
90 gallon, build, tall

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com