Jim's 90 gallon tall build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Congrats on getting spots of purple! Probably coralline algae, which I am a fan of. Sorry about your lights.

Coraline algae growing, cycle getting close

Day 50... I'm getting close to the end of the cycle (I HOPE). I'm mixing some water for a PWC, hoping to get some of the numbers closer to normal. Testing today had these results:
SG - 1.025
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 2.0
Nitrate - 80
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 360
Carbonate Hardness - 5
pH - 8.0

I've been dosing ammonia to 2.0 every few days and it all disappears by the next day. The Nitrites have been taking 2 - 3 days to disappear. I have added some chaetomorpha to the refugium hoping to bring down the Nitrates. I have also been dosing Purple Up 3 times a week and it seems to be helping the coraline growth. When the water has finished mixing I plan to do a PWC to bring up the Calcium and carbonate numbers and to drop some of the Nitrates.

One thing I have noticed is that my skimmer has really been getting dirty lately. I'm having to clean it twice a week and there is about 1/8" mud in the neck of the cup. I'm not sure if thats from the Purple Up or what.

Anyway, here's pics of the coraline spots that are popping up all over my rocks:

Attachments

• DSC04146a.jpg
    DSC04146a.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC04147a.jpg
    DSC04147a.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 91
You should do a bunch of big water changes. Get those nitrates down before add any livestock. Maybe do 40 gal changes once a week for a few weeks. Doing big changes will not effect your cycle. All your bacteria is on your rock and sand filter media etc

Day 68 of the seemingly neverending cycle. Lately I have been dosing ammonia to 4.0. The next day most of the ammonia is gone, usually 0.5 or in that area. It has been taking 3 days after that for the Nitrites to go to 0.

Has anyone had any luck with adding bottled bacteria? I dont have another tank to get media from and it seems like the cycling process is stalled at this point. I refuse to put a fish in until I am positive the cycle is complete.

My only stock in the tank is some hitch hiker stomatella snails and some small red feather dusters from the live rock. I saw 2 small bristle worms but havent seen any sign of them in weeks.

Coraline algae is spreading fairly well enough to please me and my son who is helping with some of the labor.

Anyway, does anyone have any suggestions to get this cycle going again?

My guess is your cycled. After 2 months you should be for sure. Maybe your dosing too much ammonia 4 ppm is a lot. Your livestock will never produce that much. If your tank was mine I would add first fish. Especially if it is a fairly hardy one. I have heard of bacteria in a bottle and it wouldn't hurt if your worried about your cycle.

Use "The one and only" by Dr Tim. I have read good reviews.

What do you plan on adding for first fish?

The Dr Tim's works great. Usually about a one week cycle. I had everything down to zero in six days. Three weeks later parameters are still good and my Green Chromis are doing great. I am just waiting to find a nice addition beyond them and giving the tank a little time to adjust to them.

I would think at two months in, it is cycled.

I added my first fish this past Monday, 2 Blue Green Chromis. The next day they were swimming all over the tank and eating well. :dance:

Had a close call when one of them got pulled against a powerhead but it worked itself loose before I could get it shut off. It doesnt seem to have been harmed. They are still swimming actively and eating. It's kinda cool, I just put one flake in and they were both eating at it for a while, then they moved on. The flake sank and the powerheads started pushing it all over the tank and the fish would hit at it every time it passed close by. Very cool to watch.

Best thing is - I NO LONGER HAVE JUST A BOX OF WATER!!! (y)

Back
Top Bottom