josh's 29 gallon first ever reef build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bristle worm. :-( Bad to me but good to some. Just dont go messing with it, it can sting you. lol

You don't HAVE to get rid of them, they can make good clean up crew. BUT I would just try to catch one when it's out or you can use a bristleworm trap. :)

I don't like them cause they are gross and I am always in my tanks so I freak out that I am going to get stung by one. Probably just being paranoid but I'm that kind of girl. hehe

Nope. Not that I have heard of. They are supposed to eat uneaten food and other stuff off the sandbed so i guess they have their place in the aquarium.

Oh well in that case ill just leave it. Seeing as when my wife feeds the fish she puts in 2 huge flakes for 2 little fish lol I can use all the cuc I can get!

I'm having what I would assume to be a diatome bloom. How do I fix this? Do I need to add the my cuc? I have 6 astrea snails and 3 scarlet reef hermits. So I need more hermits? Why does this happen? Sorry the pic is sideways my phone camera is goofy. Thanks for your help in advance

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111002_164547.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111002_164547.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 122
Is there a reason you get diatoms? Too high phosphate maybe? Because these showed up after my pwc. I had a larger bloom before this. Do I need to switch to ro/di from tap? Will that help this?

Switching from tap will avoid ALOT of algae issues in the future as well. I for sure would recommend switching, the sooner the better...

If you can afford the ro/di unit then by all means switch to that. For me I have regular tap water and I was battling hair algae and cyno. Just about 2 week ago I added a phosphate reactor with NPX bioplastics and a algae turf scrubber and I must say my tank is spotless.

The NPX bioplastics is what goes inside the phosphate reactor. It absorbs excess nutrients and phosphates from the water. My own opinion is that every tank should run one along with a protein skimmer

Ill have to check into that. Sounds like a good idea. I was told my tank doesn't need a protein Skimmer because my tank is on the smaller end of the spectrum

yeah tanks under 50 gal can get away without using a protein skimmer. just weekly or biweekly water changes will do the job for you

Say I were to get a protein Skimmer would it be worth the money or will weekly water changes be enough that its nearly the same effect? And also if I do switch to ro/di will the phosphate reactor become useless? I guess the point I'm trying to get at is which one or combination of these will give me the best water quality? Thanks again for all of your advice in advance

here is prob the best combination for you. start off with getting the ro/di unit. next look at investing into a phosphate reactor down the road. they help with excess nutrient if you have a heavy stocked tank and do daily feeding. if you do purchase a phosphate reactor it is best to accompany it with a protein skimmer to remove the excess nutrient the phosphate reactor secrets.(some research is needed to understand this if you use NPX bioplastics or other bio material). for such small tank i would stick with the RO/DI unit for now and see where things go. no need for a protein skimmer at this time especially for such a small tank. and yes weekly or bi weekly water changes is always a good idea no mater what type of filtraiton system you are running.

Totally off subject but does anyone know have any advice on non photosynthetic tube anemones? Good idea? Bad idea? I don't have my lights yet and wont for awhile. So this might do for now.

Back
Top Bottom