josh's 29 gallon first ever reef build.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Can anyone help me out on the last 2 posts I put up? I would like to go get my power heads tonight and they have a sweet purple tube anemone I also want to get but could use some input on both subjects. Thanks

I just got a coral banded shrimp today he is big and beautiful! A great addition to the tank!!

I believe some fan and leather corals are really low light more plankton eaters some work well in just regular flouresent

So I'm looking at upgrading my lighting. I've shopped around quite a bit and I can't seem to figure out which is best for my application. I want to add soft and hard coral and anemones. I was looking between t5 and compact florescent as herald halide is too rich for my blood at the moment. I have a 30" tank. Any ideas? Ill take any advice I can get. Thanks in advance.

To keep nems and hard corals I would suggest a 6 bulb fixture. They will be a little pricey though, :-( You might be able to get away with 4 bulbs if you get ones that are individually reflected and have quality bulbs. :)

Sounds good but do you think t5 or compact florescent? Are there any big advantages or drawbacks to either one?

I would for sure go with T5's. :) The CF ones are ok but they won't generate the same light as a t5 setup will.

It should. :) thats just the best case scenario getting a 6 bulb fixture. Alot depends on your budget. but if you got a quality 4 bulbs setup you should be fine.

Carey,
Do you have any idea where I can get a 30" 6 bulb fixture? I fould plenty of 4 bulb fixtures and even a few 2 bulb fixtures that you can link together to make a 6 bulb fixture but no just single. Fixture with 6 bulbs in it. It has to be 30" unless there is another option for a 30" wide tank. If you know of anywhere I can find one or have any ideas as to how I can get the accomplished that would be great! Thanks

hmm I'm looking but can't find any yet that are 30". Most are just 4 bulb. But if you go with a solid brand that has individual reflectors and good bulbs you can most likely get away with a 4 bulber. Check out the nova extreme pro, great fixture and good quality. :)

Just looked at that one again and yep, I think that one would be a good pick. Has the reflectors and is a good quality fixture as well, Also has moonlights :-D

Cool because I posted in classifieds and someone offered me one LOL so do u know how big of power heads I will need if I have 2?

I used 2 750 koralias in my 29g, a tad bit much I think. But they noew have 550's so I would look at those. :)

Hey carey so I was doing more research on lighting, its like a never ending deal! Lol you find a good one then you find a better one for cheaper! So I was thinking about going with the current usa nova extreme 2 bulb fixtures. But instead of just getting one I was thinking about getting 3 so I can have 6 bulbs. I found them for $73/each online. They seem like they will do the job and great reviews. I would just get the 4 bulb fixture but they don't offer it in 30". And all the 4x30" fixtures I can find are far more than 3 of these will cost. So why not get more lights for less $. But one last thing do you have an idea what the guideline is for watts per gallon as far as the minimun or what is best? Thanks

If you want 3 fixtures on the top then I guess it will be fine. Some people don't like the clutter lol.

As far as watts per gallon thats' not a very good way to determine the lighting really, depends on the type of bulb and light output rather than "per gallon".

Those fixtures are 2x24 is that enough? Id like to do 2 fixtures then if that's enough but if its not for hard coral ill do 3

Back
Top Bottom