Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Freak

Is there a reason you get diatoms? Too high phosphate maybe? Because these showed up after my pwc. I had a larger bloom before this. Do I need to switch to ro/di from tap? Will that help this?

Old 10-03-2011, 10:38 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Switching from tap will avoid ALOT of algae issues in the future as well. I for sure would recommend switching, the sooner the better...

Old 10-03-2011, 11:34 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If you can afford the ro/di unit then by all means switch to that. For me I have regular tap water and I was battling hair algae and cyno. Just about 2 week ago I added a phosphate reactor with NPX bioplastics and a algae turf scrubber and I must say my tank is spotless.
Old 10-03-2011, 01:09 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now is that stuff you got... is that chemicals or an acual machine?
Old 10-03-2011, 01:11 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

The NPX bioplastics is what goes inside the phosphate reactor. It absorbs excess nutrients and phosphates from the water. My own opinion is that every tank should run one along with a protein skimmer
Old 10-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ill have to check into that. Sounds like a good idea. I was told my tank doesn't need a protein Skimmer because my tank is on the smaller end of the spectrum
Old 10-03-2011, 02:55 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yeah tanks under 50 gal can get away without using a protein skimmer. just weekly or biweekly water changes will do the job for you
Old 10-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Say I were to get a protein Skimmer would it be worth the money or will weekly water changes be enough that its nearly the same effect? And also if I do switch to ro/di will the phosphate reactor become useless? I guess the point I'm trying to get at is which one or combination of these will give me the best water quality? Thanks again for all of your advice in advance
Old 10-03-2011, 03:23 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

here is prob the best combination for you. start off with getting the ro/di unit. next look at investing into a phosphate reactor down the road. they help with excess nutrient if you have a heavy stocked tank and do daily feeding. if you do purchase a phosphate reactor it is best to accompany it with a protein skimmer to remove the excess nutrient the phosphate reactor secrets.(some research is needed to understand this if you use NPX bioplastics or other bio material). for such small tank i would stick with the RO/DI unit for now and see where things go. no need for a protein skimmer at this time especially for such a small tank. and yes weekly or bi weekly water changes is always a good idea no mater what type of filtraiton system you are running.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:01 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Totally off subject but does anyone know have any advice on non photosynthetic tube anemones? Good idea? Bad idea? I don't have my lights yet and wont for awhile. So this might do for now.

Tags
29 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com