Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-13-2011, 10:10 AM   #61
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

In a 30" tank all you will be getting is 24watt bulbs I believe. The next bulb size up are 39watts and they are 36" long. :-(

I would think two fixtures should be enough for now, if you ever want clams or nems then it might be worth looking into.

I hate the fact that 30" fixtures are so darn hard to find, kinda part of the reason I went with the odyssea fixture when I had my 29g tank.

They do make a 30" Metal halide over at aquatraders, just another thought...

Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #62
Aquarium Advice Freak

What would be the gain from my over t5?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:25 AM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The metal halides produce a crazy amount of light but also draw alot more electricity and can generate ALOT of heat. With a 250w halide fixture you could grow anything you wanted in that tank. I;m not even sure if the 250w is TOO much light for a system like yours. I am thinking about buying the odyssea 24" 250 halide for my coral tank and was gonna post a thread on it at some point cause I'm not sure if its too much. I have a 150w halide over my 20g now and it seems a tad bit on the weak side if thats possible. lol

Theres also the heat issue, my fixture is beyond too hot to even go near when it's running, I've been burnt by it before. It also raises the temp of my water about 3 degrees. :-( But thats all good cause the tank is open top and doesnt run that hot to begin with. I haven't noticed a surge in my electric bill yet, but I've read that it can cost extra $$ as well.

Also the upkeep on a MH is a bit more money, the bulb itself can cost over $50. BUT if buying quality T5's they can add up pretty quick too at an average of $20 a bulb.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:24 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah so I did some research on the odysea 30" and that's a sweet fixture for an even sweeter price! I went to go order one and everywhere I can find them they are sold out!! I even tried a local wholesaler that does stufff out of his house and he can't get them! So either I wait it out or just go back to the t5 idea. I'm not sure what to do. But I do like the idea of the metal halide you don't have to worry if you have enough light with one of those! Do you know of any other inexpensive hm fixtures?
Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 PM   #65
Aquarium Advice Freak

I need recomendations for good quality inexpensive 30" fixtures. I would prefferably like one without a timer/timers. Its just one more thing to go bad, ill add my own. I would like a mh fixture but the options don't look good. I might just have to stick to the t5 route. I am kind of leaning toward the coralife lunar 4bulb fixture if I have to go t5 because its got pretty much everything you could want and it has ffull 30" bulbs not just 24" bulbs in a 30" housing that's 31 watts instead of 24. I judt am confused at this point I have been researching for the last 2 weeks straight and can't figure this out. Any recomendations would be appreciated
Old 10-13-2011, 08:58 PM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've never seen 30" t5 bulbs before....something to consider with that fixture.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:03 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Freak

Unless they are just higher Watt 24's but it looks like they go all the way to the end of the fixture in the picture. I saw it on marine depot talked a look if you get a minute and let me know what you think. Another thing the guy at my lfs said was to get a 36 if I'm planning on ever doing a 6 foot tank and just live with the overhang. Idk about this any suggestions on this? I think it would look bad
Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

http://fishneedit.com/30in-4bulbs-fixtu304.html

That should give you enough light to do softies and Lps
And it comes at a GREAT price...

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #69
Aquarium Advice Freak

Awesome!!! Great price!!!! Thanks a ton!! Now what bulbs do I want? 10k or 20k?
Old 10-13-2011, 11:06 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh
Awesome!!! Great price!!!! Thanks a ton!! Now what bulbs do I want? 10k or 20k?
No problem! Honestly I have no idea about the kelvins... What do you think Carey?

life is short... get a fish.
SwimsWithFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
29 gallon, build, reef, reef build

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com