Josh's 75 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The drain that came with the tank has a little plastic tube that extends out of the elbow on the drain not sure if that is what your asking.

Its prob a durso style drain. As for return section area, mine is just wide enough to fit the pump in. I drilled a few 1/2 holes in the lower portion of the acrylic that separates chambers 2/3... This allows a bit of water to drain through and help with evap issues

The over is in the left corner. I have also noticed when moving my power head if it point anywhere near the over flow you can here it gurgling.

I was thinking about evaporation when I built my sump as well as my skimmers opperating depth. Ad you can see skimmer section for not overflow it flows right thru the middle the top and bottom baffle are 4" each. The next controls the level for the skimmer at 9". Next comes the return pump to be a bubble trap. Sump water level stays consistent and plenty of room for a possible power outage.

ForumRunner_20131009_123804.jpg

I was thinking if you have a wave going on the tank than it has got to fill up enough to get the wave high enough to drain. With a consistent level in the tank it will always be draining

Oh and to the OP, you prob wont need both powerheads. Youre sitting at roughly 3100gph with just the wp40, thats just over a 43x turnover. I have the wp40 on my 6ft 125 and it can create 2 inch waves.

If the level is changing with the excessive gurgling in a single pipe durso drain, then you are creating a syphon with the elbow. There should be a small hole in the top of the capped standpipe which, in your case, needs to be bigger. You'll have to drill it out. One method is to drill an oversized hole to allow an airline to fit thru, then put a valve on the topside, for minute adjustments. But the basics is the more flow you have thru the pipe, the larger the hole needs to be to allow air to break the syphon.

So what your saying is the little tube that came in it from the factory isn't big enough and I should try drilling it larger? I do know that the tube is smaller than air line tubing. I'm not sure what you mean by capped tube? My drain also has a hole on the side of the elbow probably about 3/8"

I would watch and see if it is a syphon forming when the pump is turned up. If it is, the water level will start to drop to either the 3/8" hole, or even intil the elbow breaks free from the water.
As for the line in the top, can you move it in/out? That is the hole I was referring to, and it sounds like it already has the airline in it. So you can try moving the line in/out and see if that breaks the syphon, or even remove it entirely, letting more air in. I would fiddle a bit before drilling the hole larger. A pic might help.

Thanks I will play around with that and see what I can do. I already was thinking this would be easier with pics. Unfortunately I'm at work but if I can't figure it out I will try to get some pics. Thanks so much for the good info! I appreciate it all.

image-3758316834.jpg

This is what my drain looks like. I tried to get pics of the high and low point. I played around with the vent tube a little and had no luck. So I took out the original and enlarged the hole just enough to get air line tube in and then tried adjusting that. Still no luck.

Attachments

• image-2979272363.jpg
    image-2979272363.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 51
could the problem be that the drain pipe going into my sump runs horizontal before dumping into the sump? A friend of mine is building a very similar setup as mine, same tanks return pumps only difference is he ran flexible pipe and hard plumbed mine. and he doesn't have the issue

I think I figured out what is wrong. When I assembled the stand pipe I put the top pieces on wrong. I have the piece with the holes and hose exposed and it should be directly over the pipe. I will turn it around and see if it helps in the morning.

Gurgling problem solved! Thanks for all the help! Now on to stocking. Here is a list I started of fish I would like to get. Please give any advice on what you think. Plan on starting with the 2 clowns this weekend.

image-3994961960.jpg

I would add the more territorial fish later. Clowns and tangs can be quite territorial.
I would probably start with the cardinals, although 3 at once might be a bit quick for a short cycle. chromis' are another fish that I have that are not territorial in my tank. Starting with 3 small ones of those would probably be OK.
The goby is territorial, but nobody else will bother him down in the basement, so he can be added any time, preferrably once the diatoms start to show up so he has something to eat.

Back
Top Bottom