Josh's 75 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

js198027

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been working on this build for a little while. This is my first saltwater tank I do have a couple freshwater tanks but am getting into saltwater now. First I would like to say any tips, tricks, help or advice is very welcome. I have been reading and researching a lot but feel there is a lot more to learn. Here is my equipment that I have and am planning on getting.
75 gal. DT
40 gal. sump
Reef Octopus Diablo DC 150 skimmer
Reef Octopus Diablo Dc 3500 return pump
2= 120watt dimmable led units
1= jebao wp 40 power head
1= tunze 6025power head
2= 200 watt aquatop heaters
75 GPD BRS 4 stage RO/DI system
75-80 lbs of live rock
80 lbs of dry sand
I built my own stand and canopy for the tank and actually built the wall that is behind the tank. As of right now I have the tank set up cycling with my rock and sand. Cycling with ammonia. Dosing to 4ppm. Currently it it is converting to 0 ppm ammo and just very trace nitrite in 24 hrs. will continue cycling until all equipment is up and going. I don't have the sump built yet but should in the next week or so.

I would like everybodies opinions on stocking as well. We have 4 kids and my 3 year old daughter asks every night if i brought home "Nemo" yet so as you can imagine I will be Getting a couple clowns so any stocking that would work with them is what I am after. I will try to keep every one update with my progress.

Attachments

• tank stand unfinished.jpg
    tank stand unfinished.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 141
  • tank stand and sump empty.jpg
    tank stand and sump empty.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 136
  • plumbing.jpg
    plumbing.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 127
  • sump plumbing.jpg
    sump plumbing.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 139
this is before I added the sand

Attachments

• tank filled with water and rock.jpg
    tank filled with water and rock.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 150
Everything looks amazing, Josh! The woodwork is super!

I've also got 4 kiddos and a 75 gallon that I just started up in June. The whole family has really been enjoying this journey and we are learning so much! I hope you and yours will enjoy it as much as we do!

A few more pics of the project

Attachments

• rough lay out of live rock.jpg
    rough lay out of live rock.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 135
  • tank stand canopy.jpg
    tank stand canopy.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 137
  • canopy being built.jpg
    canopy being built.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 128
image-2497808683.jpg

My sump lay out. 10" intake/skimmer, 12" fuge 12" return. Any thoughts good, bad or otherwise

Looks good. I would only make the return and skimmer sections just big enough for the return pump/skimmer and make the fuge part as big as possible.

I was understanding that you don't want to make the return to small to accommodate for evaporation. Is this not the case? or am I just over doing it?

I was understanding that you don't want to make the return to small to accommodate for evaporation. Is this not the case? or am I just over doing it?

IMO the main thing you need to determine and allow for is enough space in your return area to accommodate the flow from the main tank until the siphon breaks when a power outage occurs.

First off, kudos on the build and the DC pump. I recently switched to the DC pumps, and I love it. 6 speeds, awesome.

You are right about the return section. bigger means evap is less an issue. The better the ATO is the less it is a concern tho. Mine is about 8" wide with a quality digital ATO that only varies about 1/2" in return section depth.
It's all a matter of give and take.

Got my glass today and going to be putting the sump together tonight think I am going to drop the return down to 10" and hope for the best.

If you plan on having a copepod colony, it would not be a good idea to have the skimmer in the return pump area. You would want it in the first section. This is because the skimmer will catch most of your copepods if put after the refugium.

So I got my return pump and fired my system up this weekend. My question now is if I speed the pump up to much the tank will fill to certain point then it is just like flushing a toilet and it drops back down and it will just keep doing this. Is this because my drain is to restricting?

image-2291744306.jpg

All set up and cycle about finished. Will do a big water change at the end of the week and hope to pick up a couple fish this weekend

Good luck with everything. I to am about to start a 75 gal tank.

Your water level in your tank should not rise and fall. Something isn't right. Can you tell if your pump continues to run?

It only does it when I speed the pump up to fast. I have a Diablo DC 3500 return pump that has a six speed controller and I can only run it at half speed. Any faster and I get the rise and fall.

what kind of drain do you have? That almost sounds like a HOB, where the flow into the tank side cannot keep up with the flow out.

Nope tank is drilled. It is a marine land reef ready tank. Rated for 700 gph I believe. I used 1" pipe for all the external plumbing.

What type of silencer do you have then? That flushing must come from something getting overwhelmed and sucking air down.
Yes a 1" O/D pipe will drain about 700gph max, but a pressurized return line can easily exceed that amount.

Back
Top Bottom