Journey from FOWLR to Reef!! ^^

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
update:
more snails added to the refugium
2 GSpuffers removed to another tank.

9/14/2008 update:
rocks r here, will post picture later
I will probably stay doin the rock work after my drawing assignments LOL
img_1030774_0_205edf17e37047859cd05f37e4bb1629.jpg

img_1030774_1_865870e6940824a3d4e7a5a6a61ed2a0.jpg
here is a pic of the reef rocks in the tank with my live rocks, still need to work on some part, but I think so far it looks pretty good.
probably gonna get some small LR in the future.
img_1030774_2_c68cd970648076a89e5eca1c6f2b7a3e.jpg

Good job on the rock work. I think i would stand 1 of those rocks almost straight up since you have alot of skinny tall rocks though.

Good job on the rock work. I think i would stand 1 of those rocks almost straight up since you have alot of skinny tall rocks though.

thanks ^^
the middle on is actually straight up, but I will see what can I do with the other rocks.
they look thin but they r fat actually hahah and heavy rolf~~~

update:
walk by my LFS and found a fair price green star polyps.
they r in my tank now, but still hiding, hope they will get use to my tank.

I like what you have done. It is looking really awesome. Great job match55.

That looks like quality base rock you got out of the box. Where was that ordered from? By the way, the pepermint shrimp typically will not eat big aiptasia(glass anemone) you will probably have to kill the big ones yourself and then the pep shirmp can keep them from coming back by eating all the small ones. 8-pep shrimp is more than enough for your tank.

That looks like quality base rock you got out of the box. Where was that ordered from? By the way, the pepermint shrimp typically will not eat big aiptasia(glass anemone) you will probably have to kill the big ones yourself and then the pep shirmp can keep them from coming back by eating all the small ones. 8-pep shrimp is more than enough for your tank.

rocks from here
ReefCleaners.org | Clean Up Crews and Macro Algae - Rock/Mud

I believe all the aiptasia is gone (at least the one that I saw before.)
I kept 2 peps in my refugium.
man those shrimps n hermits r smart and when I throw food into the tank, all of the sudden, they will come out from all direction to the food. haha

alrite here's some picture of the new green star polyps
see where they are?? and the water have clear out.
img_1032162_0_4c9c6152e0154d90849a8e89157810bd.jpg

there they are, right in the middle of the tank.
img_1032162_1_f16d848ee5e0a435697a39a7cec38a21.jpg
mangroves have moved back to the refugium, since there are diatom everywhere in the refugium, so hopefully the mongroves will control them a little bit.

some little update and questions for you guys

update:
-stand infront of my tank for an hour and finally caught 1 peppermint and put in back to my refugium...(omg they r super smart...and jump fast)
-adding 9more nassarius snails from refugium to the DT.
-green star polyps are getting better.

questions:
this morning I saw one of my peppermint caught a small bristol warm, they r like killing all the good things for me......what is going on OoO?
my calcium is way to high, it has been up to 560~580 after I add the base rock. will that harm my corals and other inverts?

nah, the calciums good for em, but thats still a bit high. but it will o down in a week pr two

thanks fishmonkey, will check it again this weekend.

here is a little update on my green start polyps~ IN BLUE LIGHT haha
they look beautiful under blue light. <3
they are doing very good I guess.
just a question for u guys, should I feed them? and if yes what should I feed them with?
img_1034123_0_3182e332c3efde84ba6bd27f1545338d.jpg

GSP looks great. Make sure you pick a good spot for that frag. Those GSP spread like a weed. Try to center them on a big rock so it will be a long time before they start creeping onto neighboring rocks.

Don;t get me wrong... I LOVE my GSP :)

I rarely feed mine. I'll defrost a cube of reef plankton for them and the other corals. I've had the same packet of plankton for months now only used a few cubes.. They don't seem to mind as they are growing like crazy and look great.

BTW - Tanks looks great

GSP looks great. Make sure you pick a good spot for that frag. Those GSP spread like a weed. Try to center them on a big rock so it will be a long time before they start creeping onto neighboring rocks.

Don;t get me wrong... I LOVE my GSP :)

I rarely feed mine. I'll defrost a cube of reef plankton for them and the other corals. I've had the same packet of plankton for months now only used a few cubes.. They don't seem to mind as they are growing like crazy and look great.

BTW - Tanks looks great

my light isn't that strong, so I put them on the highest rock I have rock now, and that place is where my return water from, so they got pretty good flow and light at that place.
I m gonna go look for plankton later this week

thanks ^^

alrite, some more corals and one tiny clown fish hehe:

went to a store near my school this morning and try to get some metalic green glove, but they ran out of it, so I bought a small cheap glove polyps instead.

at the evening, went to the closer store and ask if they have metalic green glove, grrr ran out, so I walked around and found out they have some tiny piece corals for $5.99 and I m not rich to buy big piece, so I bought yellow polyps, xenia, and one I forgot the name, but my gf love the tiny blue corals.

will add some picture soon after they all open up, they r getting use to my tank right now. ^^

recently my netrite snails keep climbing all the way up and even out from my tank and dropped on the floor, anyone know the reason?

hehe here r all the $5 footlong haha.
they r all $5.99 small pieces.
xenia
img_1035108_0_77769e55224bd777a76ff18f41e86411.jpg
yello polyps (they were happy on tuesday ad friday, today they r very stress and didn't come out till 4pm, have no idea what happened.)
img_1035108_1_2ab05fe54667dca95276ff88a089fc18.jpg

glove polyps
img_1035108_2_32c04acaa939acb23a283898059eb782.jpg

tiny blue something.
good if anyone can tell me what they are
img_1035108_3_31acfb2f19aef95fb830d13f71e6f376.jpg

oh yeahhh, I am waiting for that to come hahaha
probably take couple months, right?
for me probably will take a little long, only have little coraline algae started growing on the pipe. hope the corals like their new home. XP

I don't mean to burst anybodys bubble, but be careful with that stuff. It can quickly take over the entire tank. I have seen it happen in other tanks before in person. And I have read plenty of threads about people wishing they did not add it. Just Google search "Xenia taking over." You may even be able to find threads about it right here on AA.
My advice is to keep it isolated as best as possible.
The second picture is a little hard to see, but looks kind of like aiptasia. The blue polyps on the rock are cool...some sort of low light coral.

r u the one who show xenia on a snail shell picture?? haha
thanks for the advice, I will keep my eyes on them.
the second picture is not aiptasia, they r yellow polyps, just that they r stree that day I took the picture, so they r not fully open yet.
I will take more picture once they r completely used to my tank and open up happily.
I am planning on what other livestocks I will put in this tank.
XP so excited

found a new buddy in the tank, probably follow my xenia from my LFS to my tank.
daisy polyps XD~ they spread pretty crazy in my LFS, hope it will do the same in here.
img_1035861_0_c3536948cf32e0543404e7f92adc8c83.jpg

added a bigger clown, hopefully the two will make a pair, also added a convict goby, I think thats the name.

hehe a bigger clown
img_1036668_0_2516b5470dfb4bd511736fa58f0cd52b.jpg
the goby ^^" inside the bag blurry picture, this guy is shy, where ever I stand, it will hide from me and swim out when I m like 2ft away LOL
img_1036668_1_3fa52538e652fb629d3773a24c5cb2c2.jpg

Little adjust of the overflow and put 3 mangrove in it, hopefully will help.
img_1036668_2_024471ef1bcc1700370adeae927ec6f7.jpg

10/2/2009 update:

thought about it and redid the rock work, so the rocks are all touching the bottom of the tank, then my future pistol shrimp will be able to dig freely.

after redoing the rocks, I found 7 tiny aiptisia from the mother rock, the bigger ones r gone now, but left me 7 small ones, my peppermints are stupid, they pick on my snails more than looking for aip, so I boiled some FW and jet right on their face OoO, all closed up now, but will do this couple more time to make sure they r all dead!!!

here is the new work~~cloudy~
front of the tank.
img_1036668_3_774095b0ba1c095f370921d4b5366b12.jpg

back of the tank.
img_1036668_4_626d72cee9e92faa12568310681739a4.jpg

still have one more task to do, to get the bad crab out one of my rock.
I left that rock in another bucket, and waiting later tonight to catch that crap (ops, typo LOL) out of my tank.

Back
Top Bottom