Journey from FOWLR to Reef!! ^^

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

match55

Aquarium Advice FINatic
46gal FOWLR tank gonna change it to reef tank.

will add a little more sand for goby and pistol shrimp in the future.

Puffers will transfer to other tank since they r not reef safe.

sump will maintain the same with chaeto, mangroves, nassarius and nerite snails. probably gonna add 4 peppermint shrimps for cleaning glass anemone.
(gonna put some more life rocks into my sump)
still waiting my marco algae to fully kick in to lower my nitrate, they're working but nitrate still stay at 10ppm, should get lower in a couple days.

picture of my tank now.
FOWLR tank.jpg

since I add my sump and the marco algae, my coraline algae start growing on one of the pipe I add to my tank. :D (yeah fnally~haha)

right now I have 22lbs of LR + 10lb random rocks from petsmart.
Just ordered 32lbs of reef rocks online and hopefully they will arrive soon, so I can start on the rock work.

will update as soon as something new happened XD

Looks pretty good. It will look terrific once the new LR comes in. Good luck.

LR is just rock that has the nitrifying bacteria on it used for biological filtration. Reef rock is the same thing.

Lookin foward to the updates, keep us posted. Just so you know you will be making a new mini cycle when you order the new live rock. There will be die off on that new rock you ordered since they are shipping it.

oh the reef rock is not live, it just how the online store name them XD
but I will get couple new LR if I see some good one.
I will assume there is a mini cycle, so I won't put any fish in it until the paraM get better.
thanks for the comment guys ^^

Ok, well then you got it handled it seems. What fish are you planning for the tank and where are the puffers going?

Ok, well then you got it handled it seems. What fish are you planning for the tank and where are the puffers going?

planning on add in the future
fish:
clowns (maybe 3?)
pick spot goby
was thinking about longnose hawk, but read some article said they eat smaller livestock, so..no hawk ToT.

invert:
tiger pistol shrimp
peppermint shrimps 4 in DT 4 in sump
flame scallops (2)
couple more nassarius and nerite snails
feather duster (2~4)

corals:
green star polyps
yellow polyps
possiblely more if I can handle them. (probably wait till my tank become more mature.)

will that be too much OoO???? taking any suggestions on what livestock to keep as well.

the puffers will transfer to the other tank that I have, one of my friend will take care of the porcupine till I get a bigger tank next year. the rest will will be in 20gal/10gal till I get the tank.

got 8 peppermint shrimps to clean my glass anemones, hopefully they will able to find them OoO.
2 E.crabs
all in my refugium for safety.

also got extra 20lbs of sand for my puffers and the 46gal tank.

gonna check out the pep shrimp tonight after lights out XP fun time

Just found something interesting on the rock that r in cleaning section right now, I think I saw a little pistol shrimp like 0.75inch, can't see it very clear cuz it only comes out at night and I can only use a small red light.
it might be a lobster XD

Hitchhikers are awesome. I think its one of the coolest things about LR. You get the rock and your like ok its rock then you get all the crazy things that live in the cracks you cant even see come out. As long as its good for the tank its pretty sweet imo.

my peppermints are so mean...they roll around my nassarius and stole its food..LOL
and they have big eyes >.> but they can't even see the glass anemona right infront of them.
will peppermints eat polys or polys bottom??
my P.bottom is gone. OoO

Back
Top Bottom