Just a few question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gonzo82

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank has been cycling for over a month now and my nitrite levels are still a bit on the high side. What can i do about this to get them closer to zero. The man at the LFS told me not to worry about. Is this correct?

Also i still have a brown film growing everywhere. I think it is diatom bloom but what can i do to control this because it is getting out of hand and i am having to wipe the glass off about every two or three days. What type of cleaners etc. can i get that will help take care of this problem.

My last question is where is the cheapest place to purchase a PC lighting. I would rather buy a kit that is already put together because i am still in school and i don't have a lot of time to be fabricating a hood. I would like about 120-150W total. It needs to be between 24-30in in width.

Thanks

i'm no expert, but here's what I've heard:

leave it alone. it's not done cycling. how much LR do you have?

the brown is normal too

I have about 20 lbs right now but i am hoping to have about 40 lbs when i am done. Just cant afford it right now. It is outrageous at my LFS.

Sounds like a normal turn of events for a new system. Take your time, you are doing fine.
I wouldn't add any cleaners until the nitrites go down and stay down. You could then start adding some snails and hermits to help with the cleaning.
The hard part is the waiting. :wink:

Probly should have asked this first but what is an acceptable level of nitrites, zero?

Yes, nitrites and ammonia have to be 0. Either one can eventually kill your livestock at detectable levels.

Nitrites should always be at 0. Nirtrites are just as bad for the fish as Ammonia. :wink:

Also as Qshark mentioned above, the diatoms are a part of New Tank Syndrom. You can wipe it if you want to, but it will go away over time on it's on.

What are the best ways to keep nitrites at zero for future reference.

bio filters (live rock, bioballs, whatever) turn ammonia into nitrite and then nitrite into nitrate. if you have nitrites, but no ammonia, wait a while and it will all convert into nitrate. it's then much safer for fish. inverts are pickier when it comes to nitrates, though, so you may have to pay attention to the next (and last) step in the cycle, which is the conversion of nitrate to nitrogen gas, which bubbles off and goes away.

Will adding carbon to my HOB filter help this process or hurt it. Also what are some good plans for a bio filter for my tank. It is a 29g. I have also purchased a seaclone 100 protein skimmer. Dont know much about it though. It was the most reasonably priced skimmer at my LFS. Any comments on it.

LR (with LS usually) is generally considered the best bio filter available. Seaclone sucks from what I hear... You can get a cpr bakpak online for $105 or so... maybe return it if it's still in the box?

Back
Top Bottom