Just added

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elmo1287

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just added a bunch or 5 cups of salt to my 40 g tank and my hydrometer is not moving much?

One word for you... Refractometer ;) .. hydrometers can be manoeuvre innaccurate and when talking about something as simple as salinity why let a $20 difference create hundreds possibly thousands of dollars worth of casualties/damage lol

Also when making large increases in salinity like that you'll need to give it time before testing preferably 24 hours but the warmer the water and the better the water movement the sooner you'll get a true reading (just remember temperature effects salinity readings though so always test water at or around room temp for consistency)

Okay I figured that had something to do with it I just added my heater so that will probably make the difference

Using Instant Ocean I would need 20 cups to raise salinity to 1.025. 5 cups would only get to about 1.006. What brand do you have?

Instant ocean but it was made for 50g and only a quarter of the way full so I'm gonna have to buy more tomorrow it looks like its floating between the1.016 and 1.018

Attachments

• image-988583118.jpg
    image-988583118.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 53
  • image-1245290795.jpg
    image-1245290795.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 46
Yup, you definitely need more salt. Better to get a bucket because you're gonna be doing water changes in the future. Also if you are using hydrometer I would suggest to tap it off to dislodge air bubbles on the white dot on the swing arm.

Back
Top Bottom