Just added live rock...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

popothemailman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just added 65lbs of fiji live rock to my 80gal tank, and my ammonia shot up... i noticed there is a lot of debree that is on the sand do i just leave it or how would i remove them?

Is your tank cycling? If so, I would let it complete the cycle. If you have fish in there do water changes and vacum the substrate to keep amonia down.

well i believe its finnally finished cycleing, but what i would like to know is if i need any airation(bubles) or anything like that i took my pump out and was wondering if i should put it back in...

by the way this is a fowlr tank.

water movement is always good, helps keep dead spots and ammonia sinks from building up. that will also help keep debris from settling, keep it suspended, and hopefully it will get filtered out.

Oct 13, 2004 1:50 am... I just added 65lbs of fiji live rock to my 80gal tank, and my ammonia shot up...

Oct 13, 2004 10:36 pm... well i believe its finnally finished cycleing

You cycled 65 pounds of new rock in less than 24 hours? Where did the rock come from?

its fully curred rock. and i have a 350gph shooting out of the filter, and 2 280gph maxijet 1200 in the tank. and a 220 more watts of light addeing soon for a total 290watts.

do i need acual bubbles? ie an air pump and air stones

You do not need actual bubbles. If you have good aggitation on the surface of the water, you are all set.

how about water changes... i do a 10% every week, is that too much? and i dont vacume my sand anymore after i caused a bacteria bloom

my water is very murky because of my live rock its precured not fully, so things are still dieing(ammonia shot up, and you can still little left over dead sponges that my tooth brush missed). i would like to know how to handle this someone suggested to add some seachem clarity and other just said to do frequent water changes. but how often would i do the water changes, should i even use the chemical?

please help,
thank you.

If you have a protein skimmer that will help pull alot of crud out. Try doing 20-30% water changes and vacuuming your LR and substrate. I wouldnt add any chems to your water. JMO

Thanks,
Rich

Back
Top Bottom