Just added new yellow tang but...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weekf

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys I just got my new tiny little yellow tang today. He is doing great and swimming around after I put it in my tank. Except when I go near the tank it will hide behind the rockworks. I tried to feed him but he just won't come out. I am worry that he might starve to death. But when I go away from the tank it will start coming out and eat some algae off the rockworks. Any idea how long will he get used to the tank and take the food I feed him? Thanks in advance.

every fish is different so its hard to say... Most take a few days to settle in others could be longer. Get a veggie clip and some Nori (sushi wrap) and hand it in the tank for him. That way it is getting food and you do not need to be next to the tank.

Sorry to sound stupid what is a "veggie clip" or "clip"? thanks.

the lfs sell them, plastic clip with a suction cup on them to stick on the glass.. Or you can rubberband a piece of nori to some lr rubble..

Just adding to this - nori will also keep his color up and help his immune system.

Also, my yellow tang has always been shy. He still hides when I approach the tank. But once I stick my hand in and remove the veggie clip, he knows what time it is and actually swims around my hand - even touching it sometimes. So, the nori may also help keep him interested in staying in front of the tank as well.

- Skins

I would put a bag over my head so he could not see me. :D but he will get over his shyness soon

Maybe there's a fish that intimidates the yellow tang? I know that they shyness happens in the course of a few days to a few weeks. But if there's like a trigger swooshing across the tank a lot, your tang will hide to death. My opinion.

ya the clip will work and if u dont have nori like when i run out, some romaine lettace will also do the trick to hold him off mine will eat the hole thing in a few days with the help of my coral beauty who seems to like it also???is that wierd..lol

Do I have to buy those nori specially made for aquarium use or I can just get them at the supermarket which is for human consumption will it mess the water chemistry up?

Nori from the supermarket is fine, I use it with no issues. I compared the 2 side by side and I want to say that they are the exact same thing. Same size, color, lines ect. JMO.

Yeah dont buy the stuff from the LFS...its absolutely no different than the Nori you buy to wrap sushi in for humans. I would make sure there are no additives in the stuff you buy from the store. I buy mine at Central Market in the 'exotic' foods section. Its about $2.99 for 8-10 sheets - 8x10 size

Ive had my Yellow Tang for about a month and a half and it still swims behind the rockwork whenever I walk up to the tank. But like stated before It will always swim out when I feed them. I dont know if this is normal but my Hippo and my Yellow are always together. Also my manager at PetSuppliesPlus has used lettuce and brocoli

Thanks for the input guys. Very much appreciated!!!

I would be very careful about adding lettuce and brocoli - thats just me. Those items can have pesticides on them no matter how much you wash them...again just my opinion as Im very paranoid on putting things in my tank

wow i must be lucky, because my tangs follow me when im at the tank. They are always do this b/c they want food. I rip my algae sheets into small pieces and let them float on the tank for the tangs to eat.

A word of caution however for terrestrial plants as feed. However, a lot of hobbyists didn't have any complaints. Just a word of caution.

Back
Top Bottom