Just another newbie!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt mom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone my name is Emylie. I've recently started a 24 gallon reef tank which has been cycling for the past six weeks. I just tested my pH nitrite and ammonia. The PH is 8.2, The Nitrite is 0 ppm and the ammonia is also 0 ppm. I have black live sand form Hawaii and 25 lbs of live rock. Do you all think it is safe to add live stock to the tank? If so what would your recommendations be? :thanks:

Hello everyone my name is Emylie. I've recently started a 24 gallon reef tank which has been cycling for the past six weeks. I just tested my pH nitrite and ammonia. The PH is 8.2, The Nitrite is 0 ppm and the ammonia is also 0 ppm. I have black live sand form Hawaii and 25 lbs of live rock. Do you all think it is safe to add live stock to the tank? If so what would your recommendations be? :thanks:

Welcome to aquarium advice!
Glad to see another reefer on here! Did you ever have a spike in ammonia/nitrite? Judging by how long you have been cycling I'd say you are probably good to start adding livestock. I love clowns as they have a lot of personality. Other than tht I don't really have favorites. Liveaquaria has good minimum tank size requirements for fish. I'd also start with soft corals like zoas and mushrooms then work your way into lps corals. Good luck!

Thank you for the advice. I did have a spike about a week and a half ago. I received the live rock from a friend that was moving across the country and I believe that has helped my tanks levels. I have also notice hundreds of tiny little pinhead sized bugs like creatures crawling over the rocks sand. They are also stuck to the sides of my tank. They are almost translucent and move in very fast short burst.

Thank you for the advice. I did have a spike about a week and a half ago. I received the live rock from a friend that was moving across the country and I believe that has helped my tanks levels. I have also notice hundreds of tiny little pinhead sized bugs like creatures crawling over the rocks sand. They are also stuck to the sides of my tank. They are almost translucent and move in very fast short burst.

Those white bugs are copepods and are a good sign of a healthy tank. They are 100% beneficial and a nice snack for fish. If you had a spike then you are definitely cycled.

Thank you for the advice it's nice to know that is not some type of parasite in my tank.

mandarin

I like the mandarin fish. They have so much color! I can't have a mandarin yet tho since I started out with a 10 gallon tank... when mine is cycled I will have one damselfish.

Back
Top Bottom