Just beginning.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjazinski

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've got a 55 gallon tank my dad had. He used it at one time with saltwater in it everything growing fine. Anyways, i bought 15lb's of sand not live and bout enought salt for 50 gallons. i mixed 10 pounds blue sand with 5 lbs of live and. the live and sand, some of the blue sand is left on top. i powered on the filter and left is sit for an hour, water is starting to get clearer. I don't know what kinda filter i have it sits in the water with a pump, and a heater all in one little thing. has one nozel sparying water out in the front. i have one coral rock that i had (from my dad) and added it to the setup. the blue sand is slowly starting to settel. the tank has 2 24' florcent lights. in it. My question is what do i do from here. just started it today.

Thanks for any help.

do some research... get the book "the conscientous marine aquarist" by robert fenner. We cant do all the work for you =P

first of all you need to figure out what kind of tank you want.

I've been doing some research, i would like to just keep some fish, possibly later move on to some rock in there also. i do have a decoration rock in there. But more then likely the 1st cycle or so just clown fish or something easy to start with, i'm a beginner. not asking for you to do the work for me, i'm asking you for help.

Thanks. 0X

By the way when i setup my tank i added the sand first. didn't mix it then added about 1/2 water, then added all the salt then the rest of the water. i'm reading forms as i go, and i'm thinking that might now have been very wise. thanks.

I'll go with rossv, at this point you should take a step away and invest in a book. Reading forums as you go is probably not the best approach and you may well overlook some very important details, aswell as waste money/livestock on mistakes that could have been avoided.

Diddo...Do as much research as you can right now. It is much easier to start a tank when you have everything planned out and organized. Give it a couple of weeks and get a good book. Trust me, you will thank yourself for it later.

addon

I've gotten a salt tester hydrometer or whatever, whenever i put it in the tank the needle just says right at the top, when i tested with tap water i got the same result any ideas. i have a 55 gal tank and used ocean 55 gal sal mix. thanks.

I am also starting my first saltwater tank and I agree that this as well as other forums can be a tremendous resource, but they should not be your only resource.

Do yourself a favor and go to the local bookstore or library and get a book on starting a marine aquarium - there are lots to choose from. Try to get something recent so you will be up to date with the latest information and techniques.

The book I picked up and just finished today is The Simple Guide to Marine Aquariums by Jeffrey Kurtz. I picked it up at Barnes and Nobel for $17.00 I compared it with a couple other books they had at the store and found it to be the most informative, and most in line with the information I had already gathered from this forum. Here's a link if you are interested http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bo...arine+aquariums&userid=BQv1axuTxS&cds2Pid=946.

Having a book on hand allows you to confirm much of what you may have read online and also gives you a single resource to turn to for an easy reference. After reading this book, I can definately tell you that I am very glad I did not start my tank prior to reading it, it has definitely prevented some mistakes I was likely to make.

Also, if you are able, you may want to ask your dad for assistance since he apparently has some saltwater experience.

And please qt all your fish before adding to your main. Will save big headaches down the line. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom