Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I wouldnt worry too much about the ph right now while cycling. What test kit are you using? Are you sure its 8.8? If its an API test and its got some purple then its fine. I wouldnt chase after ph numbers, its a losing battle. What you want is consistency.
And no, prob not coraliine, its far too early for that.

Old 10-27-2013, 07:38 PM   #22
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok. Just asked because these are the two rocks I added right at the beginning but purchased from my LFS from one of their wet tanks.
I also bought two other rocks from another LFS that were supposedly "live" rock. And the rest of my rock is DIY.
And of course there was some debate earlier about whether or not my sand was actually live too as it was CaribSea Fuji pink live sand, but was dry when I got it with some lil bio package I had to mix separately and add to the tank slowly.
I will just continue to add pure household ammonia and watch the tank, test once or twice a week from now on!

Old 10-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmar View Post
Ok. Just asked because these are the two rocks I added right at the beginning but purchased from my LFS from one of their wet tanks.
I also bought two other rocks from another LFS that were supposedly "live" rock. And the rest of my rock is DIY.
And of course there was some debate earlier about whether or not my sand was actually live too as it was CaribSea Fuji pink live sand, but was dry when I got it with some lil bio package I had to mix separately and add to the tank slowly.
I will just continue to add pure household ammonia and watch the tank, test once or twice a week from now on!
DIY rock? Or dry rock...?
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Freak

DIY rock
Old 10-27-2013, 08:36 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
DIY rock
Hopefully it's not rock you pulled out of your back yard?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:44 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

erm....

No, I'm new but not totally daft

I followed the instructions from several different DIY "live" rock videos on YouTube (went thru a few different recipes and made a lot of rock before I settled on a recipe and final rock look and texture I liked) - and soaked them for weeks!!
When I started my 10 gallon nano tank, I then purchased "live" rock (dry but cured and I cured it again) from a reputable LFS in a major city near me, wet (colored rock) from a different LFS in a different town & ordered "live" sand (CaribSea pink Fuji) from yet a third (also reputable) LFS that delivers! I figured dealing with different stores, I was more likely to get at least something actually "live" to mix with my own rock.
I have talked and met with two of the actual owners of said stores, but not the one that delivers.
I believe my water tests over the first week are showing decent parameters. I am NOT going to run out and begin buying corals or livestock, I am in the process of cycling this tank and waiting for "critters" to appear. I am not trying to rush the process, I am adding ammonia every day to feed BB and just biding my time.
I only set up this tank on October 20,2013. I am prepared for it to take 3-6 weeks to cycle and potentially much longer than that for the more exciting stuff to happen! However, I will keep posting pics and asking questions
Old 10-28-2013, 01:35 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Youre doing great!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks!!
I am not sure what the "optimal" water parameters should be exactly for a starter FOWLR saltwater tank. Since that is what I am really hoping to eventually have tho right now I guess it would be considered a very new and not even fish only tank since it has no fish yet!
My tests as of 6pm on October 27,2013 were:
temp: 81F
sg: 1.023 - 1.024
ammonia 4
nitrites 3
nitrates 20
calcium 390
phosphates 0
alkalinity 10.2
no visible critters but I am still hoping they show up eventually. I KNOW I didn't need to test for all that stuff ... just the usual ammonia, nitrites & trates with sg and temp. I am pretty happy with the overall results after only a week. Will continue to post pics, ask questions, be patient and learn as much as I can. I look forward to making friends, reading, learning and seeing pics of other folks tanks so I can plan for my bigger one(s) in the near future!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Thanks!!
I am not sure what the "optimal" water parameters should be exactly for a starter FOWLR saltwater tank. Since that is what I am really hoping to eventually have tho right now I guess it would be considered a very new and not even fish only tank since it has no fish yet!
My tests as of 6pm on October 27,2013 were:
temp: 81F
sg: 1.023 - 1.024
ammonia 4
nitrites 3
nitrates 20
calcium 390
phosphates 0
alkalinity 10.2
no visible critters but I am still hoping they show up eventually. I KNOW I didn't need to test for all that stuff ... just the usual ammonia, nitrites & trates with sg and temp. I am pretty happy with the overall results after only a week. Will continue to post pics, ask questions, be patient and learn as much as I can. I look forward to making friends, reading, learning and seeing pics of other folks tanks so I can plan for my bigger one(s) in the near future!
The cycle is definitely kicking in! Hopefully some critters will pop out soon! Good luck, here's my tank since you wanted to see pics of other peoples

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4176007094.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	204638
Don't mind the dead clam shell, my gf liked it in there still.
bribo12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Freak

I certainly find myself wishing I had used my 50 gallon tank to begin with but it is so big and I don't have a sump or most the stuff I would need for one that big (yet)!

The pic of yours is awesome bribo12! thanks for sharing it with me. I am a picture kinda person and like to document everything in photos, start to finish and all that good stuff.

I recently finished cycling a little 10 gallon freshwater tank with the ammonia so I feel pretty confident. It is partially stocked and the fishies there are doing very well so this shouldn't be any different or take significantly longer or anything. Still all a matter of patience and due dilligence.... add in salinity and so far it is exactly like FW

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com