Just bought a used tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just bought a used 100g tank with sand and rock, skimmer and filter. What is the best way to clean it? How should I clean the sand? The glass has algae and water stains, what is the best way to clean it?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was the tank set up when you bought it? Is the rock still submerged in water? If so, then put the rock in a rubbermaid tub full of tank water and remove the sand. Scrape/clean the glass with vinegar, then replace the rock. make sure you mix up new water and have it ready. You'll probably want to use mostly new water since the old water will be somewhat foul from stirring everything up. Monitor the tank parameters for a week or so and if you don't see any ammonia, it's ready. If you do see an ammonia spike, it will need a couple more weeks of cycling. I'd add the new sand if any with the rock in the beginning.

He guys just drained drained it today, he wasn't caring for the tank, so it's pretty gross. The rock is in a bucket, no submerged, but still wet. We still have an hour and half home. I'm not super concerned with cycling it fast, I'm ok with waiting. But the problem is the store I get to water will be closing when we get home. I have 10g of RO at home now.

You can't buy water with a 100 gallon tank. It's just not cost effective. You need a R.O.D.I unit and a bucket of salt. Put those on your equipment list!

Well it would of been $50 for the water to start. We ended up buying 25 gallons of water, and also an rodi system. I have a box of salt that I bought today as well. We got the tank cleaned up and some water in it. Now we have to wait on our RO system to make some water lol

Also what color back ground? Blue or black?

Yeah I think we decided on black :) we are getting ready to put the back ground on. Then fill it up the rest of the way and plug everything in. I'll post pictures when it clears up a little :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1427681589.322564.jpg
It's got a ways to go, but it's a start. :)

Looks like you got it cleaned up pretty well. Like Mr. X said, if you haven't already, start a build thread so we can all tag along and see your progress ☺

Sent from my SM-T800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom