Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-04-2007, 12:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just bought bubble anemone

my lfs told me it was fine with what I have... (2 clowns, 2 chocolate chip starfish, 1 blue damsel, 1 camel shrimp, hermits, turbo snails, nassarius sand snails, trochus snails, and a tiger sand conch) now Am I safe or do I have to take anything out for my anemone to live?

Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist

Your chocolate chip starfish may eat the anemone. They are not reef safe and will eat very slow moving inverts and corals.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
I agree with pinkie about the chocolate chip starfish.

Also how long has the tank been setup?

Checking your info, with your lighting you need to photo-acclimate the anemone to the tank or risk the anemone expelling it's zooanthel....(I forget how to spell it) and dying within a week. Did you get a healthy one to begin with? What type of lighting did the lfs have it under?
Old 09-04-2007, 03:05 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

**EDIT**

what do you mean by acclimate photo lighting and how do u do it? I put it where it got about an hour or so of metal halide today and its just lunar now... tommorow is when its gonna get all day of that.. is that fine?

the corals looked very healthy and is guaranteed to be eating (I watched her feed the other ones) and i think it was just under regular fluorescent light but they feed it daily so it lives on that instead of the algae that is growing on them

to acclimate it, I put the bag on the tank and slowly added water to it using a syringe within half an hour..

I guess I'm gonna have to put them into my sump.. LFS told me that its stingers will protect it from getting eatened by my chocolate chip starfish
Old 09-04-2007, 08:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I'd definitely recommend finding a new fish store. Sounds like they told you just about anything to buy the anemone. I really wouldn't trust a word that place tells you.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:57 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

well I dont think its a good sign but the bubble coral is moving around a lot..

so worried 6:00 am still awake..

oh and i think i might have accidentally killed my blue damsel in a very clumsy idiotic way... I was moving the LR awhile ago (coral keeps hiding inside the cave) and I might have squished my blue damsel as it is always hiding somewhere around that area... and then, around 5 am, I moved this one LR again and I saw a white chunk float around and slowly clouded the water as it disappears in pieces..nightmares .. maybe its the damsel.. or maybe its the molt from my camel shrimp.. but most likely the damsel as I think I've seen some reflections of the scales floating around too... ($%#!&).. anyways.. I feel so bad and I guess I'll check again when lights are on..
Old 09-04-2007, 11:02 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Light acclimation can be done a few ways. One way is to use layers of screen and remove them to let more light in. Another way is to run your lights a few hours increasing the lighting cycle over a week or so. I would let the anemone roam, they will move around untill they find a place they are comfortable with.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:59 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Your acclimation procedures are not adequate for sensitive invertebrates. Why would you put it in the sump?!? It needs that bright light, just not all at one time. Roka has given you good ideas on how to proceed.

You also need to stop buying things without researching the needs of the animal first.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:01 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Lance M.
What color was the bta when you got it?

Feeding it everyday stresses out anemones as it takes more energy for them to digest the food than they actually get out of it. Some people feed them regularly to force them to split, but it's just splitting becuase it's stressed and trying to survive.

You saw a white chunk floating around? If possible get it out of the tank. If it happened to be your bta dying (they dissolve when they die) it will likely kill everything in your tank.

If the bta is still alive give it like 1-2 hours of light a day for a week or two then add about an hour every 10 days. It's a slow but safe way.

If the lfs was keeping them in regular flourescent and feeding them daily then I definitely wouldnt believe anything they told me.

If by chance the bta was white when you got it, you must feed it for several weeks to nurse it back to health then maybe feed it once a month. They get all they need from the light and water column.

And you should of drip acclimated it for about 3 hours.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:19 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

I would not move the rocks your anemone is attached to. It is an animal, and will move to where it is comfortable with. Most want to be wedged into a crevice in the rocks, and moving those rocks can rupture their discs.

Tags
anemone, bubble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com