Just curious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Degonese

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm slowing building up my SW aquarium and I buying equipment left and right. Because I'm always looking at what to get next, I saw something on line for sale for a SW aquarium. It's a chiller... This may be a stupid question but why would you need something to cool the water down if SW fish and coral need a constant temp. of 78* - 84*? I understand that people who live down south might need it because of high temps. down there, but wouldn't most people have AC in there house. I would think that, that would give them a reason to buy a heater?? I'm confused... Please let me know. Thanks

Typically a chiller is used on a larger system that has a lot of very powerful lighting. Also as you mentioned people in climates where heat is an issue. For the most part you can accomplish the same thing with fans. The key to SW tanks, ones with coral in particular, is keeping the temp stable. Having a chiller will allow you to keep the temp at a certain level all the time. I have a 120g tank with 878w of lighting along with a 55g frag tank that has 570w of lighting and I don't need a chiller on my system. I have fans on my lights and a fan that I can turn on to blow across my sump when needed.

Back
Top Bottom