Just curious...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the lfs the other day to see about starting a stocking list for my new 55gal fresh water tank.
I was disapointed by the stores fw selection but when i went to the salt water there were so many fish i had never seen and some of the colors were just wow! I don't think i am up to keeping another large aquarium especially salt water, but out of curiousity how small of a sw tank could you keep? If i were to get some salt water fish they would just be anything really small and colorful.
I'm just curious thats all. my family might eat me alive if i were to suggest another aquarium, but you never know i might just come about one haha. :wink:

The bigger the better really. Minimum I'd suggest is a 30, though a 55 is better. Note that SW fish need a lot more space than FW, and many fish are fast swimmers which don't do well in small tanks (such as any tang, the smallest yellow tang would be a good bet for a 90gal). A vague rule of thumb is around 5 gallons per inch of fish. A 30 buys you ~ 6" of fish, which is 2-4 small fish (clowns, gobies, chromis, dartfish, etc).

ok thanks for letting me know...my curiousity might be cured i don't believe i can afford the risk of getting a 30 gal + tank. My family would not apreciate it lol

u can go as small as 10g,which could be consider as nano tank.But u do limit ur choice to select fish.Also, since its so small, u probly need to do water change everyday depend on ur bio load.

Another question... If i were to set up a nano tank in say my 20gal which will soon be emptied into the 55gal, how dificult is it to convert a fw to a sw tank?

You need to drain the tank and change the substrate. I assume you've never dosed copper into the tank (which would be bad for invertabrates).

A 20 is doable. You will need to keep up with water topoffs in such a small volume though, as the salinity can swing more.

I consider myself a beginner and ran a 20 gal fish only salt tank for well over a year.. It was actually pretty easy. After having fresh water fish I just one day decided to switch. I will never go back to freshwater.. I am now hoping to get a 50-60gal tank set up and am starting the research all over as it has been a few years..

I don't think i could abandon my freash water fish because i think the ones i have are pretty cool, maybe not colorful but they are really iinteresting. I will probably be back in a few montsh looking for help on a 20 gal sw set up thanks for hte help! :D

Back
Top Bottom