Just did my first PWC with my Python today!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

marnel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This think ROCKS! I was so worried when i decided to start this hobby that the PWC's would get tedious and time consuming and would lead to my failure at this. Took me about 5 minutes to do a 10% PWC on a 55 gal tank.

Took longer for me to realize that i was looking at the faucet backwards and tightening the airater rather than loosening it DOH!

I KNOW! You can hardly believe you're finished. About the time you'd usually be yelling "%$#)" at the water that sloshed out of the bucket and onto the rug, you're coiling up the hose and done!

Alot of people on here really like pythons. I still use buckets. (it gives me arm strength :) )

I might get one someday, but they are expensive for what they are, and I would have to get one with alot of tubing because my tanks are far away from the sink.

So my main reason for staying away from the python *besides cost - I'd need probably a 50 footer* is how does it not get all over the place in the sink or tub you are draining into? Okay I can see a tub would be easier.... But how do you know you aren't tossing rocks and tiny plants and fish or snail or shrimp babies down the drain? I did 1/2 my tanks today and when I gravel vac I always pick up rocks, esp the smaller ones. So how do you avoid that???? And somehow, I don't even know how it happened... I got a 2 inch long and 1/2 inch wide goldfish up the tube today... *side note, I checked him out, he seemed stunned but okay, treated with melafix and pimafix just to be safe*

Also, how do you set the water temp to know that it will be alright before adding to the tank? Do you do this before draining? Cuz my water seems to change its mind midway thru filling the bucket - sometimes and I need to make an adjustment. Does it flow in gently or hard.. Like dumping a bucket is a bit gruff on the kids sometimes even when I stay away from them and dump onto a big rock....

Can anyone answer these questions for me? Thanks..

my python doesn't have the suction power of my gravel vac.. takes away the fear.. so I use gravel vac for cleaning (once a month or so) and PHYTHON YIPEEE MY PYTHON I LOVE MY PYTHON for once weekly 50 percent water changes of my 30 gallon cube

I used one for the first time saterday. filling up my whole 80g tank. It was Fn awsome. LOL. filled up the whole tank in about 15 minutes.
I loved it and the best part its free. ITs my dads. :p.
so im addicted and going to use it all the time. for filling up. as for sucking i will do it the old fashioned way.

Musket-I feel your pain with wanting to save all the baby [fill in the blank]s. The suction is less than when using a regular gravel cleaner, though, so you can avoid anything obviously cute/alive while you vacuum. If you put a fairly fine strainer in the sink/tub you can sort through the muck collected to find anything cute....not that I do that. Much.

Musket- I put a hand towel over the faucet so water doesn't splash up and out. By the end of the water changes it is soaked, but that is also because I have a slight leak. :) The strainer trick is a good idea! But also, the python won't have as great of a suction if you use the kitchen sink. Just be cautious when vacing and you shouldn't suck anything up that you don't want to. To set the water temp just move the hot and cold water until it is at the appropriate temp. Mine changes temps after a while but we just adjust it. I can tell by feeling the hose if the temp is correct. The water flows in as hard as you want it to. If you want it to trickle in, turn the flow slower. If you want it to be faster, turn them up. I usually have ours on full blast. When removing water I use straight cold water. Considering we have a 150, 55, 29, and two 10 gal tanks to change, I don't want to risk running out of hot water.

Back
Top Bottom