just don't know what to do next????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The rock with the stringy stuff is a major structure support. How much trouble will it cause me or is there a way to prop up my structure? What do I do to siphon the cyano?

PVC could prop it up. Or switch around how the rocks are stacked. People re scape all the time :)

Airline tubing or a gravel/sand vac

Thanks you guys. I was beginning to become frustrated. I'm done for tonight. Will pursue the siphon and circulation pump tomorrow or otherwise as soon as possible. Thanks again for all your help.

No problem! Your doing a great job and the fact thy your are perusing the knowledge and trying to make sure everything is good and happy not jut alive shows that you will be a good owner of this tank

What would you suggest as a clean up crew? And are these things ok to purchase online or should I go to the local reef store and see what they have to offer?
also one person suggest daily water changes. Necessary or not?

What would you suggest as a clean up crew? And are these things ok to purchase online or should I go to the local reef store and see what they have to offer?
also one person suggest daily water changes. Necessary or not?

Daily PWCs only needed if your ammo, Trites or Trates are very high. Do 20% weekly PWCs, add some flow with a PH, and don't overfeed-that'll help get rid of the cyano, but it'll take some time. It's fine to order CUC online, the problem is that they tend to have great deals on these huge packages of snails/hermits, which your tank may not be able to support, and then they'll starve. I would just go to LFS and get 5-6 snails and 5-6 hermits for now. You can add some more later if those are ok.

Yeah. Get a handful of mixed snails and some hermits. They also help with the over feeding problem because they eat whatever left over food there is.

I think the stringy stuff is actually a colony of tube worms of some type. I wouldn't worry about those. What is your source for water? (Tap, RODI, LFS, grocery store, etc)

Sounds exactly like cyano is it slimey and stringy at the same time? If its cyano you will be ok it isn't the end of the world increase flow and check phosphates, nitrates, and even iron if possible ull be ok

Thank you

Your start up is magnificent, your levels are perfect, and your cyano is pretty normal. I wouldn't suggest syphoning all at one time, and this is only because I stalled my cycle at the phosphate stage (with cyano starting) because I removed too much at one time and didn't have the beneficial bacteria that was covering the cyano anymore. I know I'll probably get snobbed or trolled for this, but if you get another decent sized aquacultured live rock and chip it into medium sized rocks and leech them you may get some of your CUC for free and live rock has an amazing ability to filter your water.

RODI water..... I actually have about five pieces of dry rock that are all small pieces maybe a pound a piece with one maybe three pounds that were taken over by hair algae. I bleached them. Would it be good or bad to add them to the cyano spot. That is where they were previously.

It really wouldn't matter as long as you added flow to the location cause if you didn't it will spread regardless

By looking at my pictures, should I place my circulation pump on the opposite side of my other power heads?

Some say take out the rock with the stringy stuff, others say no..........what to do?

You can take out and lightly clean off if you want but put it back

I have a maxi jet 1200 marine land brand head/circulation pump that I originally was using to mix my salt water. I configured it to use as a power head and put it in my tank but it seems to be extremely powerful. Is it too much? The specs aero as follows: 295 max GPS in power head mode and 1300 max in circulation. Any suggestions?

Also I have been told that the specific coral that I have isn't very popular because it is known for taking over the tank. Any way to contain it if I put it on a rock in an empty sand space or will it still spread?

Back
Top Bottom