just don't know what to do next????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thughes2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 44 gal setup, protein skimmer, two power heads, about fifty pounds of rock, some live some dead, been up for a couple months, one fish, algae issues..........don't want to give up, just don't know what to do next????

I was given some rock with coral already living with a few mushrooms. Mostly on one rock. I was advised to buy a watchman goby as a starter fish. Just did my first ten gallon water change. I have green algae throughout but not as bad after water change. I also have a white stringy substance on the bottom side of one rock. I run white light for seven hours a day and blue light for three or four which he set up for me initially. I may not have serious problems but I have been abandoned and need advice as to what direction to go. I got involved to some day own a large tank with fish and corals.

Test your water..continue doing water changes

How much, how often? Do I need a clean up crew?

A clean up crew will help. I'd change water every day or two..probably 5-10 gallons. Until yiu can figure out what is causing this and what your levels are

After you test post your parameters here so we know and then you know where you are and if you are still cycling, since you have a fish and if you are still cycling you will have to continue to do pwc to keep ammonia and nitrites down to limit the stress on the fish. As to how much and how often that will depend on your test results

Ph 8.2, ammonia 0, nitrate 10, nitrite low range-less than .2, high range-less than 2.......very light shade on nitrite tests. Are these good or bad?

Those are good numbers...do you test phosphate?

I do not have it in my current test kit. The only other test I have is alkalinity which I haven't competed yet.

I read somewhere that proper flow is important. Is there a certain way to tell if that is an issue? I just noticed that the purple on my sand appears to be bubble algae

What is all the equipment you have? If you have coral what kind of lights do you have? And any other questions you got? There's a lot in saltwater we'll take this one step at a time.

Purple, sand, bubble... Sounds like Cyanobacteria. Increased flow will help, since your levels look good.
Stringy white sounds like spaghetti worms and related microfauna. All fine.
Cut back the lighting an hour or two until the algae is under control. The mushrooms will be fine.
Cleanup crew is not "necessary" but is highly recommended. A combination of small hermits, snails (cerith, Astraea, trochus, nassarius), and bristleworms will handle pretty much anything you throw at them. Start small, just a couple of each. Add more if necessary later.
And relax! You are not alone here. We got your back.

Not sure of anything. It is purplish, looks like bubbles.

Aquatic life light with two t5 white, two blue, and two led moon lights me of which doesn't burn. Theo hydro heater......78 degrees. Aqueoun acp 500 power head, not sure info on other power head, refugum that is running but no life. I will try to add a picture.

Here are current pics.

Attachments

• image-1795612492.jpg
    image-1795612492.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 127
  • image-1331549453.jpg
    image-1331549453.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image-3652142759.jpg
    image-3652142759.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 137
  • image-396874859.jpg
    image-396874859.jpg
    212.3 KB · Views: 132
  • image-2545968295.jpg
    image-2545968295.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 149
I also have a protein skimmer, not sure info on it. Unfortunately I have lost touch with the guy who sold me everything so not sure how to find out.

Looks pretty dang good :) I'd syphin out the cyano and take out that rock with the white stringy stuff. Scrub it really good under hot water then put it back in and just keep your parameters under control. If you keep it stable for a couple weeks get another fish or some coral. A CuC would help a lot. I like them even for jut eating left over food.

Kh... long name just gave great advice. That is cyano, and I have no idea about the stringy stuff but better safe than sorry. Beautiful tank though! Two power heads may not be enough. Try adding a propeller type circulation pump.
On real reefs, the erratic currents can be amazingly strong so you're not likely to have too much flow, so long as no pump is aimed directly at a coral.
Dont worry, this is nothing you can't handle. You're off to a better start than many!

Back
Top Bottom