Just getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tomchong22

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello I am new to the site. Any way I am currently setting up a new 60 gal salt water aquarium. So far this is the layout of the rock. I made all the rock that is currently in the tank. I was wondering is this a good set up so far? Advice?

Attachments

• image-1191868355.jpg
    image-1191868355.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 136
Looks good so far. Can't tell from the picture but make sure there is enough room between the rock and the side/front glass to get a scraper and mag float so it isn't difficult to clean the glass. The other thing is to really keep an eye on your PH. Home made rock will swing your PH for several months before it is calms down.

Thanks I'll keep that in mind. The home made rock I let sit in water for about 2 months then 2 weeks in vinegar to neutralize the lime. About how many lbs of live rock do I need to add so populate all the diy rock?

have you checked your ph?
you don't need to add any live rock. that rock will become live as soon as you introduce an ammonia source. toss a raw shrimp in there to raise the ammonia level and bacteria will populate all of the surface area in the tank, including your rock.

I still think I might put in about 2 lbs of live rock with coroline alge on it just to start things going. Raw shrimp u say? I will def have to try it.

i bought live rock from my local fish store, it was kept in water with a power head so it was kept live. i still cycled my aquarium for a week just to get all the dead bacteria out as well as used instant ocean bio spira and again let it cycle for another week. then when i bought my first round of live stock, i got two mexican turbo snails and a empty turbo snail shell for my hermit crabs, the empty shell had a spot of coralline algae on it, and before i knew it most of my live rock was covered in the beautiful stuff.

moral of the story is even the smallest ammount of established stuff will make the whole process that much quicker

Back
Top Bottom