just getting started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spuds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm just getting started, and I don't even have my salt water yet, lol. But I am enthusiastic and I would like some of my questions to be answered.

1. I would like a reef aquarium, but I want a less expensive alternative to a wet-dry filter. Is that possble to obtain?

2. What would the absolute minimum size tank be? I currently own a 10 gallon with freshwater, but I doubt it'll be enough.

3. What types of fish would you recommend?

IMO 10 gallons too small. I suggest a 55 or higher to start even though many on this site have smaller. The bigger the tank the better. I dont like wet drys anyway . Too much nitrates for me. Refugiums are the way to go. But I dont think there is much price difference. As far as the stocking that is up to you. You need to do some research and find your slice of the pie. The only thing I will say is that if you want a reef tank You should not get angels since they are prone to nip at corals. Learn from my mistake. Good luck and we are here to help

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I would like a reef aquarium, but I want a less expensive alternative to a wet-dry filter. Is that possble to obtain?
You can use a "Berlin" method for filtration. It consists of LS, 1.5-2lbs/gal of LR and aggressive skimming. Wet/drys, when maintained properly will not cause an increase in NO3. They do take some work however.
What would the absolute minimum size tank be? I currently own a 10 gallon with freshwater, but I doubt it'll be enough.
You can attempt to keep whatever size tank you want. That said, the alrger the better, especially for beginners. The larger the tank volume the more stable the water parameters will be. I would recommend something larger then a 10 gal, a 29 is a great place to start. Keep in mind that the bioload on SW tanks needs to be much less then FW tanks, so you would be very limited in the number and types of fish you could have in a 10 gal (or 29 for that matter). Many people start out with small tanks only to find themselves wanting something bigger in a few short months. You will out grow a 10 gal very quickly. At least a 29 w or 38 gal would give you more options.
What types of fish would you recommend?
This really depends on the size of tank you end up with. If you are interested in having a reef tank then limit your fish to ones that are reef-safe.

Go out and get yourself a copy of "The Conscientious Marine Aquarist" by Robert Fenner as your next step. It is a great resource and will help you in getting started.

melosu58 said:
IMO 10 gallons too small. I suggest a 55 or higher to start even though many on this site have smaller. The bigger the tank the better. I dont like wet drys anyway . Too much nitrates for me. Refugiums are the way to go. But I dont think there is much price difference. As far as the stocking that is up to you. You need to do some research and find your slice of the pie. The only thing I will say is that if you want a reef tank You should not get angels since they are prone to nip at corals. Learn from my mistake. Good luck and we are here to help

I agree........bigger is better. Melosu58........how do like your excaliber skimmer?

10 gallons can be done but it gets very boring after a while.
A 10 gallon reef is a little hard since most coral and whatnot get too big for a 10 gallon.

Bigger tnaks are better IMO. Not because its hard for smaller tanks, I have a 10 gallon sw tank and it's easier to maintain than my other fw tanks! Im not saying to go out and buy it but if you do research a kit before anything. A bigger tank is better because 1. More fish and inverts can be kept.....2.With a 10 gallon you'll want abigger tank in a couple of months so just save some time and money getting the bigger tank right away...and 3. water stability issues, they aren't radical changes but theres a lot less worry. In a smaller tank a small problem can be a huge problem the next. With beginners theres a lot more room for errors.
I suggest a 30 gallon...you'll be happy you went with the bigger tank in the long run.

I think the perfect starter fish are most clowns, false percula is the best IMO. Firefish are a good beginner fish but the tend to hide a lot from what i've seen, very beautiful though. The purple firefish is more in your face though and very beautiful, just be careful you know what type your getting though. In one catalog I read when I was going to order fish from my lfs they had 2 types ( one was 18 dollars, the other was 60 bucks). I don't know for certain if theres 2 purples though, they could of mislabeled it for all I know.

Basicly the best fish wold be what you want. Just ask here first before getting it htough!

Back
Top Bottom