Just getting started and need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I have recently been given a 10g aquarium with a HOB filter. I would like to turn it into a 10g nano reef tank. This is my plan and if it is wrong please correct me.

I just ordered a new 20" hood that I plan on putting a 18" T5 15W 50/50 actinic flourecent bulb in.
I'll use the HOB filter without a cartridge for additional current (might place carbon in from time to time for clear water and odor)
I have order a hydrometer and will get some instant ocean. I also plan to purchase 5-10 lbs of live rock and sand substrate.

Now the only thing I think that I am missing (to start the cycling process and such) is 2 power to add current to the tank. Now I found these on amazon:

Amazon.com: Marineland Ml90509 Maxi-Jet 400 PRO, 110/500GPH: Pet Supplies

and order the 110 GPH and 160 GpH to put on opposite ends of the tank. Is that all I need to get started?

So I have recently been given a 10g aquarium with a HOB filter. I would like to turn it into a 10g nano reef tank. This is my plan and if it is wrong please correct me.

I just ordered a new 20" hood that I plan on putting a 18" T5 15W 50/50 actinic flourecent bulb in.
I'll use the HOB filter without a cartridge for additional current (might place carbon in from time to time for clear water and odor)
I have order a hydrometer and will get some instant ocean. I also plan to purchase 5-10 lbs of live rock and sand substrate.

Now the only thing I think that I am missing (to start the cycling process and such) is 2 power to add current to the tank. Now I found these on amazon:

Amazon.com: Marineland Ml90509 Maxi-Jet 400 PRO, 110/500GPH: Pet Supplies

and order the 110 GPH and 160 GpH to put on opposite ends of the tank. Is that all I need to get started?

If you want a reef that light isn't going to grow much coral wise, I don't even think they make t5s in that wattage. Go with 10 lbs of rock and look into a koralia nano instead of the maxijet. The koralia puts out more indirect flow which is what you want. I ran my 10 when I had it with one 240 and it did great. I'd run purigen or chemi pure elite over carbon an make sure you use ro/di water.

Now that I look at the hood, I'm not sure what lighting I'm using and longterm if it isnt a reef tank I'm not overly worried. I order the marineland powerheads because of price. I got both of them for $33 off amazon. I just order the new hood so I'll update with the type of lights it has that I can use to get opinions.

What fish/inverts are you planning to stock in it?
I second the Koralia Nanos. I have both the Koralias and a Maxi Jet, and much prefer the Koralia for my saltie tank. The Maxjet just didn't do much for me in terms of circulation in any of my tanks.

I already ordered the maxi jets....I'll see about canceling them. I would like a pair of clownfish or cardinal fish or some thing of that nature. I'd like a pair and maybe a third but from what I've read that is pushing it...

Back
Top Bottom