Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2006, 07:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Just Getting Started and Reading Like Crazy. But, need Advic

Folks,

For many years my wife and I have wanted a salt water aquarium. We've decided to turn our desire into a family hobby and have been reading like crazy about fish keeping. The one thing I have yet to find, is advice on what equipment/specific models and brands a total beginner should purchase.

Since these are living creatures, and we feel a responsibility to care for them well, we are willing to spend a little extra for equipment that will ensure our success and the health of our fish. So, with that said. Could I ask for recommendations on everything we would need? I tried to search here, but get an error message...

We plan on a 30-40 gallon tank, as thats all the space we have available. We still have not decided on the actual fish yet.

Many, many thanks in advance!

Old 07-12-2006, 11:18 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

WELCOME TO AA
MOST OF THE SW BOOKS RECOMMEND WHAT EQUIP. BUT NOT WHAT BRAND, IS THAT WHAT YOU’RE ASKING?

Old 07-12-2006, 11:21 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckmn101
WELCOME TO AA
MOST OF THE SW BOOKS RECOMMEND WHAT EQUIP. BUT NOT WHAT BRAND, IS THAT WHAT YOU’RE ASKING?
Hi, yes and thanks for your reply. I'd like some advice on specific brands/models for everything from the tank (40 gallon or so) to all of the associated items. (filter, PH, skimmer, etc)

Thanks again!
Old 07-13-2006, 12:07 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Welcome to AA.

As for tank, any brand really. All-Glass is a reputable name. You mainly want to find the design that's right for you. Glass or
Acrylic is another option. I'd go with glass, but with acrylic tanks comes cool things like bowfront tanks that are neat to look at. Also avoid taller tanks. They are a little harder to aquascape with and require higher intensity lighting.

As for equipment, with a good amount of liverock (50+ pounds) the need for filtration is optional. I would definitley invest in a skimmer. Aqua-C Remoras seem to be the most highly favored and affordable out on the market. I use Marineland and Aquaclear powerheads with no complaints. Maxijets are also a good brand. Avoid the zoomed, they are trash.

Another thing you may want to consider is a sump. I have no information on sumps, nor know much at all about them but a lot of other people here do.

Hope that helps a little bit.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 12:22 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilishturtles
Welcome to AA.

As for tank, any brand really. All-Glass is a reputable name. You mainly want to find the design that's right for you. Glass or
Acrylic is another option. I'd go with glass, but with acrylic tanks comes cool things like bowfront tanks that are neat to look at. Also avoid taller tanks. They are a little harder to aquascape with and require higher intensity lighting.

As for equipment, with a good amount of liverock (50+ pounds) the need for filtration is optional. I would definitley invest in a skimmer. Aqua-C Remoras seem to be the most highly favored and affordable out on the market. I use Marineland and Aquaclear powerheads with no complaints. Maxijets are also a good brand. Avoid the zoomed, they are trash.

Another thing you may want to consider is a sump. I have no information on sumps, nor know much at all about them but a lot of other people here do.

Hope that helps a little bit.
It does, and thanks!
Old 07-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Bigger is better when it comes to SW tanks so get the largest one you can to start.. 55 gal is a nice size and a 75 is even better. Measure where you want the tank and see if it will fit.
Corallife Superskimmer are the new "hot" skimmers on the market now. I have heard lots of good things about them. ETSS, ASM and Euroreef are other good skimmers..
Sump is a good idea, so look into them. If you go with one you will need a reef ready tank or need to get it drilled. A little extra but worth it. Adds water volume a place to hid things like the skimmer, heaters, top off units. the larger the water volume is the easier it is to keep the tank stable.
Do you want corals or just fish? lighting is a big choice and it all depends on what you want too keep. Soft corals, LPS, SPS we ned to know what you want. If you say I only want fish then you can get the cheap strip lighting, corals then you need to spend more $$.
what type of fish do you like? Tank size will determine what fish you can get.
Keep reading there is a lot to learn...
This is NOT a cheap hobby so figure on spending around $30-50 per gallon to get it up and running.
Live rock is a MUST have item.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to tecwzrd
Welcome to AA

The post "Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank" covers the more popular brands and what's needed for a SW tank.

If you have more specific questions we will be more then happy to help.

If you haven't figured it out yet I like to BOLD links :P

Vote for AA at Aqua Rank
tecwzrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:35 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
WELCOME TO AA!!

Please read up on the fishless cycle.

I would suggest going to your LFS and looking to see what they have. Then get online and you can find better prices. When you pose the question of what brand, you are going to get bombarded with different responses. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, yet. I just wanted to welcome you.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Thanks folks! I'm so excited I was on-line reading until 1:30 in the morning!

The area I have is an "L" shaped corner with 4 feet in width on one side, and about 3 feet on the other. I'd like a 55 gal tank, but it may be slightly to big for the area. A 40+ seems to be the best fit.

As for fish, so far I love Anglefish and Clowns. I love the idea of using Live Rock and Sand, and find the concept of a "clean-up crew" really cool to add some diversity to the tank.

As for coral, down the road I'd love a piece to add to the aquascape.

Thanks,
Old 07-13-2006, 03:58 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Look at a Corner Bow tank if you have some extra cash, you could fit a nice sized one in that space. A regular 55, 75 and 90 are all 48" long.
Depending on what angle fish you get will determine if you can get corals. alot of angles eat corals.

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
started

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com