Just getting Started and would like advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

method0075

Aquarium Advice Regular
To start off, This website is awesome and has helped me with my many freshwater setups. Beyond that I would like to get started in saltwater. I have never dealt with saltwater before. I feel like I`ve mastered fresh water. I have several planted tanks and a few of your regular old community and live bearer tanks. I even have a painted turtle enclosure with 2 pairs of breeding turtles.

I have a 45 gal tank that was previously used in freshwater applications. I would like to use this tank but have heard that you can`t use a tank that was previously used for freshwater? Is this true?

I would like some advice on what I will need for filtration, heat, LR, live sand, and anything else you can think of. I want a setup that will support a large number of crustaceans, a few clown fish and maybe a couple other small fish.

Give me some advice and guidance here. I`m a patient person when it comes to aquariums. I`ve learned that you can`t rush the beauty of a well matured tank! :wink:

The tank will work fine. The only concern is if you ever medicated the tank before as some meds will do harm in SW setups.

I would use LR and a skimmer for filtering. About 1.5 to 2 lbs of lr per gal. A good skimmer is the aqua c remora(I am upgrading to it soon). Any aragonite sand will work. If you can get tropical playsand it will be cheapest and LR from www.liverocks.com will turn it into LS. I would use twoo 100watt heaters so you can advert any problems if one fails.

others here can add and advice much better than I can. Good Luck

Thanks for the advice ! I never medicate my tanks. I have a couple quarantine tanks for that... However I have been fortaunate becaue I only ran into one illness about 8 years ago. I had a lemon terta with a bladder infection?!? Keep the advice coming and thanks again

Oh yeah do I need to get a regular stanard hang on the back of the tank type filter or will the LR and skimmer be sufficiant?

You can put a hang on or canister filter if you want. The problem is that the filter media will collect detritus and lead to high nitrates. The main benefit of these type filters is water polishing and a place to run carbon if needed.

I currently have a canister filter but plan to remove it when I get my new SCWD and powerhead up. I use the canister filter for water flow now but once the closed loop is setup I will do away with that. I forgot to mention turnover in the first post(sorry). You ideally want at least 10x flow per hr for a fowlr tank. So for your 45 you need 450 gph or more. Its best to use two smaller powerheads to give a random current as opposed to one large.

Does your tank have like a corner filter or anything? If so, you might want to pull that out. My husband and I use our old fresh water tank for our main saltwater and have never had any problems with it, other than the corner filter. It seems to trap a lot of bacteria that ends up causing problems. I also would not use a canister filter as RMPD said. They really just seem to cause problems in the long run.

I would get the power heads, lr and skimmer to start with. I think all other filtration systems can wait. I totally agree with RMPD about using multiple small power heads as opposed to using one large one. One of the most important parts of a salt-water aquarium is water flow.

By the way, Welcome to the Salt-Water Community and AA.com!

what should I do for powerheads? Like how much per gal is the recomended

for a FO or FOWLR you want 10x gph flow and a reef needs 20x or more turnover.

try 2 maxi jet 900. they put out 230 gph each. that brings the flow rate of 460 which is just over 10x an hr for your tank. the maxi jet 1200 do 295 gph and would give you the extra movement that most people like.

what sort of set up do you recommend for the powerheads, as far as creating a current? right now i only have my sump return blasting from one end aimed towards the opposite corner.

thx
russ

(it's a 90sw FOWLR)

i use 2 cheap powerheads 1 at the top...1 in the middle..
But i dont use a skimmer..i use a fluval 404 and that also creates huge water flows on the top goin 1 way...the other powerhead goin the other way....1 down the middle of the tank depth for a small mid current too....
people do it different..
As for LR prolly 1 pound per 2 gallon is a good direction to go !
if you can afford it go for 1 pound per gallon ) (i have 30pound in a 35G)
oh and yes..make sure u take put any sponges and filtration in the internal filter if it is a freshwater tank )
you will need external) because if u do get water problems you can mess about with the media in an external filter to rectify the problems (Fluval 404 has 8 compartments for different media)
i would not rely on just LR for filtration...
alll the guys on ere are very helpfull...your attitude is excellent i am sure you will be very successfull in gettin the setup u want )
good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom