Just getting started with my 1st skimmer I have a problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fijiwigi

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok I got my Aquamedic Turboflotor 1000 multi with oceanrunner 2500 pump today(The skimmer is huge) I installed it as a HOB until I get my Sump construction together. I read the directions 5 times and made sure I set it up exactly like I was supposed to. Tilted at a 5degree angle/ I lowered the flow caps to the lowest setting/The tube connecting the pump to the skimmer is as short as possible(came with the package) /I put the 5cm elongation to help lower the water flow.
And yet 2min after I plug it in the water flows out of the top of the collection cup and onto the floor. I don't know what else to do and I desperatley need help with this.

I don't know a lot about that skimmer but it sounds like the water level is set too high or you have a lot of DOCs in the tank. Is it foaming up and then overflowing or is it just filling up with water and overflowing?

it is foaming first then than the foam turns to water in the collection cup and the water rises causing the foamy water to overfill the cup and the foam lifts the lid then spills water out the side. Ok so what are DOC's and how do I adjust the water level the pump is toward the very top of the tanks water its hanging on the back and I tried adjusting the flow caps from full blast to slow mode. Should I clamp the hose on the oceanrunner 2500 a little to slow the water flow to the skimmer??????????? I really need some help with this I want to take advantage of my 209.99 investment

I don't have your specific skimmer fijiwigi, but it sounds like the collection cup itself needs to be raised - however that's done with that skimmer. Your skimmer is skimming "too wet" and the fix for that is to make the foam/bubbles go farther before getting into the collection cup. However you do that in your skimmer is probably what you need to adjust. Most skimmers though will have a "break-in" period of days to a week. They usually run wet then and you have to put the collection cup as high as it will go until things settle down.

DOCs is an acronym for Dissolved Organic Compounds - it's what your skimmer is removing from the water column. (At least when it settles down and isn't just foaming water out of your tank!)

I don't have your specific skimmer fijiwigi, but it sounds like the collection cup itself needs to be raised - however that's done with that skimmer. Your skimmer is skimming "too wet" and the fix for that is to make the foam/bubbles go farther before getting into the collection cup. However you do that in your skimmer is probably what you need to adjust. Most skimmers though will have a "break-in" period of days to a week. They usually run wet then and you have to put the collection cup as high as it will go until things settle down.

DOCs is an acronym for Dissolved Organic Compounds - it's what your skimmer is removing from the water column. (At least when it settles down and isn't just foaming water out of your tank!)

Thanks for the quick response Kurt. however I still do not understand the solution to the problem other than letting it foam out of the skimmer and onto the floor during the break in period. This will not be a problem if this happens when I install it into my sump. I just dont see myself getting setup with the sump anytime soon even though I have the equipment I have to get the acrylic cut and glued. I did add the 5cm extension to the skimmer. But it fills with foamy water and overflows within 3 minutes.

I do not have this skimmer either, but most skimmers have a way to adjust the collection cup up and down to control how "wet" it skims. Like Kurt said, all the way down and the skimmer skims too wet and can overflow. If you move it up too high it won't skim enough, however most skimmers require it to be all the way up for the first few days/weeks.

Needle valve might work also like Hammer said.

HTH

I did adjust it up with the extension. I have it in my garbage can now with my moldy stinky rocks I just ordered that are cycling. It is producing massive foam overflow out of the collection cup. I pinch the air line and the water pours out and when I blow into the air line it slows. Can someone chime in here on how exactly to produce more air for a dryer foam. Explain the needle wheel setup with a little more detail what do i buy exactly.

If I remember right that skimmer had two knobs to adjust the out flow of clean water, make sure those are not closed off too much. You should be able to run it w/o air and not flood the cup. Then adjust the air until you get a nice dry foam. If you are using this on cycling new rock you will need to check the cup at least once a day if not more.

I tried adjusting those knobs everyway possible. I just removed them as to not restrict the out flow of clean water. I ran it with my cycling rocks overnight and it is producing the exact same overflowing wet foam, The air tube is connected to the pump just like the directions stated. I think I am going to have to install a needle valve on this to adjust the air. Can someone attach a link as to where I can purchase one??

Alright after a couple days of being frustrated and angry about having a skimmer I could not use I think I figured it out. I cut the tubing between the pump and the skimmer in half and I added a ball-valve. Now I can adjust the flow coming from the pump between that and adjusting the control pegs I fine tuned the Production of the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom