Just getting things together

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemc75

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm starting a 55 gl reef & fish aquarium
What should I get for lighting ?

Do you have the tank already? If not I would recommend a 75g instead. The front to back dimensions of a 55 is 12" where a 75 is 18" that extra 6" makes a world of difference when setting up your rock scape. For the lighting it all depends on what your planning to do but for the cost of it all get LEDs, you will need either a 4 foot fixture or 2 pendant style fixtures. Taotronics LEDs have gotten great reviews and you can get them cheap. I spent $700 on a 6 bulb t5ho fixture for my 55 and you can get the LEDs for about $300. LEDs are easier on the power bill, don't need bulb replacement every 9 months and if you get the proper ones can support anything you want to put in the tank.

Yes. I have a tank.
I was thinking of build side up for more room. I've seen those LEDs but was not sure it they work well.
I plan to use a marineland c360 canister filter. Power head. Do I need a skimmer too ? Anything else u can recommend ???

I would get a skimmer for sure. Just watch the canister you have to clean it often to keep it from fouling your water.

What about a wave maker or Something to move water in middle or bottom ?

Back
Top Bottom